BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys i have a 3 series compact e46 manual when i turn and lock the steering left it locks and it really hard to pull it back

i was told it my tracking rod i had changed it and it still the same does anyone have any suggestion what it is? ::confused

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nh m8 it does not do it wen it turned off it does it when you driving and you lock it left it gets stuck i was told it my steering rack do you think so aswell :confused

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Does sound like the rack, is it only on full left lock? or is it even if turned slightly left?

Also can you fill in your car specs box out, will make it easier for us to help you in future, it can be found in your USER CP :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) it only does this when full locked to the left thanks m8 what does you think wish bone or steering rack mate

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
nh m8 it does not do it wen it turned off it does it when you driving and you lock it left it gets stuck i was told it my steering rack do you think so aswell :confused

Hello, hello,

funnily enough my wifes car suffered same symtoms...........had a butchers myself 2day and yep.........the rack is knackered.

It would occasionally know at full lock...........not always though, but would lock up on full lock.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks alot guys this situation on happens when u full lock left thanks for that im booking it in soon when i get some money loo:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
mine does the same but on right lock, have been told its not the rack, going to see another bmw garage on monday, i reveresed out of parkign spot today right hand down and hear 2 bangs from passenger wheel,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tht the sme nosie im hearing im hearing knocks in the wheel when i reverse but im gonna start with changing the steerig to see if it narrow down the problem this problem only happens when i lock it to the left it will lock and will be very hard to unlock it have to use force.... very dangerous hopefully the rack solves it :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
btw has ani of ur cars had an accident and due to that accident ur getting this problem or did it randomly happen:)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi Im having exactly the same problem, it feels like it goes into a dip and then locks up.
It only releases if you let the car roll back very slightly.

I was told to change the bush and wishbone and also have tracking done - no result!

I was told to change the steering rack - no result!

The garage say they are going to investigate further but I think they will fob me off, can anyone help me??

Original poster did you get this sorted?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi mate after a very long time i got it fixed i changed my arms and they took my suspension off it was fitted wrong causing it to lock have u tried doing that ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts