BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm looking for some advise on a problem that started yesterday. I was driving home from work on the M25 and when I got to an uphill section my X5 started to slow down, so I pushed the throttle pedal a little, then down further and further until I was flat out - trouble was the car was still slowing down!

I pulled into the inside lane and came completely off the throttle - I tried again to accelerate and this time it worked fine as normal and pulled up the hill.

This morning I pulled out onto the main road from my house and no power at all - completely flat out at 5mph, then it slowly gained speed, and then again returned to normal.

And finally, back on the M25 - the exact same thing!

I was thinking perhaps this could be a fuel filter problem? as the car has done very few miles and has been sitting around in the past three years.

I don't think it can be a fuel pump issue as the car has only done 38K and the pump sounds fine.

But has anyone had the same problem or know of another common fault that might be causing this?

I've only had the car three weeks - I hope this isn't how things are set to continue!

Steve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, extra bit of info if it helps anyone to diagnose the problem - just drove home, and it's juddering really badly almost like it's misfiring - the throttle response is terrible and erratic - even on cruise control it was juddering, slowing down, and then gunning it!

I've got it booked in to a private garage for tomorrow morning for a new fuel filter - so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Best thing is to get a full diagnostics on it. As your in kent you could try big motoring world who have autologic.
Then once you've got things sorted come and see me for a remap :thumbsup

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply - thought I'd keep this thread updated if it can help someone in the future with the same problem -

I took my X5 to a local garage this weekend to have a new fuel filter installed - and I'm sad to report this has had no effect - the problem persists.

I have the car booked in with BMW on Tuesday - they suspect it could be the fuel pump, so I'll report back when I know more, wish me luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, heard back from BMW today - this is sounding expensive already!

They found various fault codes - 150 in total, with most of them pointing to Injector No.5 - they also said I had a fault with my pre-supply fuel pressure (lift pump?).

They've checked the wiring and said it all looks fine, although they did find the exhaust gas valve had a leak, which they've cleaned and replaced the seal (I think that's what they said)

They've just asked for another hour with the car at £99 + VAT to further diagnose the problem - when I took the technician out for a test drive this morning it ran perfectly! - Typical !

They also said the engine oil level was too high - 2 litres too much apparently!

Will know more later today - can't see this coming out much less than £1k !

Have to wait and see...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... The extra hour of investigation still didn't manage to replicate the problem - the chief tenhnician is now going to use my car for his commute from and to work tonight and tomorrow morning - I just hope it does it again so they can say for certain what it is and what's causing it...

More tomorrow I guess!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Hmmmmm, strange that it has 2 litres too much oil in, that's quite alot to overfill it by, I'm hoping that the mechanical high pressure fuel pump hasn't failed on the front seal, thus it's filling the sump with diesel, :frown

Heard of it before on BMW diesels. :frown Would be massively surprised at 38K though.

Did the garage check the oil that was drained out?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ronnie, thanks for the reply - yeah the overfill was strange - i hadn't realised but when i bought the car three weeks ago, my Dad (retired now but used to be a mechanic) checked the oil level and it was a tiny bit low - certainly not overfilled!

The technician who took my car home yesterday experienced the problem fortunately and it has been confirmed (pending a test drive once replaced) as the No.5 injector.

My dad believes that if the injector is staying open then diesel would be pouring into the sump that way - I hadn't thought about until today, but i have smelt diesel quite a bit driving it a couple of times - so as well as replacing the injector, they're also going to replace the oil - but only because my dad thought of it - they didn't check the oil they removed!

It's looking around about a thousand pounds for certain now - hopefully i should be able to pick up the car end of play today - i just hope it's going to all be okay - fingers crossed

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so £938 without replacing the oil, as apparently they had made a mistake relaying how much it was overfilled by - it was more like one quarter of a litre over filled - not two litres!

Anyway, injector No.5 was replaced, and on the drive home it seemed fine, even changing up earlier - where as before it was holding onto the revs for a long time - however, the journey was short - tomorrow will be the real test when I resume my usual commute from Kent to Surrey - fingers crossed this is really fixed.

(Apparently the technician who took my car home last night called the dealership in a panic saying 'you might have to come a rescue me' as the car was so undriveable!)

Hopefully this is case closed, I'll report back tomorrow to confirm !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I'm pleased to report that my car seems back to normal - thank goodness for that! Now to get my new tyres put on at the weekend and get my wheels balanced to stop my other problem - slight wheel wobble - tyres are in poor condition - so the Toyo proxies should do the trick!

Anyway, hopefully case now closed - but do I keep the car? Has this experience tainted ownership a little? I'll give it time before I decide...

Steve

·
Registered
640 Posts
So, I'm pleased to report that my car seems back to normal - thank goodness for that! Now to get my new tyres put on at the weekend and get my wheels balanced to stop my other problem - slight wheel wobble - tyres are in poor condition - so the Toyo proxies should do the trick!

Anyway, hopefully case now closed - but do I keep the car? Has this experience tainted ownership a little? I'll give it time before I decide...

Steve
Dont be put off by these problems as they can accure on any car! Just finished fixing my fathers X5 4.6is this week after alternator failure and water pump nackered. Also aircon belt was missing and it didnt even have hardly any actual coolant in the system (more water than anything). But we have fixed it all ourselves and saved around £1500-£1700 by not going to the stealers. Car is now sounding quieter than before and runs beautifully.
My father felt disheartened by the failures on the car but he's got over it now and is back to enjoying the bmw driving experience again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you were wise to avoid the dealer - next time (lol - optimistic!) I'll try an independent garage - this time round i was really busy with work and the car 'had' to be fixed - still, I'm sure I'll soon forget this experience and begin to enjoy the car too,

All the best,
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I found this subject fascinating, fixing the problem was the easy bit,

but why did the guys at BMW takes so long to diagnose,
I think too much reliance on computers,
from my experience as a mechanic, it's best to know your exhaust manifold temperatures, i.e. each cylinder, very easy these days with a laser Thermometer, that way the problem with the injector would have been spotted much quicker.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts

Steve
Good to hear it's all fixed and cheers for the update, I will add the (FIXED) to the thread title. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts