BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Day 2 of my life as an X5 owner :) and already asking for help - thank goodness I didn't go for the Range Rover it could have been so much worse...

Only a relatively small problem, but very annoying none the less. The radio is the type with combined SatNav screen which moves open to reveal a tape deck and there is a television function (which I've not got any signal on as yet...) and a 6 CD changer and SatNav CD player in the boot. I've also got a cordless phone in the center console storage bin lid

The radio screen works, I can select channels, I can put a tape in and make it seemingly play, I can play CDs and I can navigate to places on the SatNav, but none of it makes any sound. I tried for 3 hours to get sound all to no avail, then told my Mrs, who turned it on and got radio 2 no problems. The sound was a bit rough, but it was radio 2, so I set the fader / balance and it then turned out the RH speakers were not working at all. We turned the engine off, and five minutes later went on another journey, by which time were were back to no sound at all from any speakers.

So, firstly any ideas?

Secondly where is everything - I've found the bits mentioned above but haven't yet seen any kind of amplifier?

Hope you can help, it's a lovely car otherwise, so I'd like to get this sorted ASAP.

All the best,

Mike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The radio/amp unit is in the boot under the spare tyre - you have to take that out a black dome air unit get to it. Sounds a familar problem - fix is to, if you are able, open it up and re-solder some connections or replace it. I've done this in the past if you want any further help let me know. Also the TV tuner is no-good now so get yourself a digital tuner for watching TV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The radio/amp unit is in the boot under the spare tyre - you have to take that out a black dome air unit get to it. Sounds a familar problem - fix is to, if you are able, open it up and re-solder some connections or replace it. I've done this in the past if you want any further help let me know. Also the TV tuner is no-good now so get yourself a digital tuner for watching TV.
Afternoon and sorry to hijack the thread - but I have had this exact same problem since buying the car in March and it's really annoying.....!

Could you (ssd) or someone else please post or point via pictures to the said until please? I only ask as I have a 80ltr LPG bomb in the spare wheel well and there appears to be alot of cutting and moving of wires to accommodate said tank and I have no idea how to access or even begin looking for the problematic unit or even what it looks like just in case it has been relocated during the gas installation!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Christian

·
Registered
92 Posts
In the boot under the compressor, spare wheel etc.

The amp is built into the RCM (Radio Control Module). Look for the plastic cover marked 'BMW' held down with 3 screws and under that is a number of silver boxes (next to the battery). The one to the left (first one) with a 2 inch square plastic connector known as the quadlock attached to it. That's your fella!

Ignore the red arrow, see the silver box to the left with the wires coming out of it.

TV.jpg

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Many thanks SSD - if I can figure out which box you are referring to I'll give it a go :)

Below are some pictures just taken. First with the spare wheel in, then without, then inside the black dome - Can you point out on these pictures which bit you are referring to? The thing under the dome seems to be some kind of pneumatic or vacuum pump - I've no idea what it is, but it didn't look radio related.

Also, on the subject of the TV tuner, do I just plug in a standard digi-box type thing like you would use at home, or is there a specific automotive version?

And can anyone tell me which wire to disable so that it can be played whilst on the move? (I presume it has a speed sensor or gear selector input?

Thanks for helping,

Mike.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your 16:51 post crossed over with me writing my last (only type with my thumbs :)) - thanks for the pic & description - I'll go and have another look at mine now I have a better idea of what to look for.

Many thanks,

Mike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi - its not in the dome but underneath it. Undo the four 13mm nuts from around the bracket the pump is mounted on, then remove the plastic BMW plate. This will show the battery and modules for the radio, TV, reverse, traffic master etc. Refer to my earlier picture to identify the radio module -it the unit to left side near beside the battery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again :)

I have the silver box out and completely disassembled. I've taken all of the metal covers off the various parts of the circuit board so I can see all components clearly and I've been going over it with a magnifying glass. I can't see any visable signs of anything amiss - there isn't any component which is showing signs of heat stress, I can't see any dry joints or broken tracks etc., oh and the fuse is fine.

I'll try re-soldering most of the bigger joints regardless, but I'm not convinced I've found anything yet. Do you have any pointers as to where you've had problems in the past? Anything to look out for?

If cleaning up the connections and re-soldering etc doesn't fix it I can try getting a new one. It says BMW professional BM54 on the side along with a whole host of other numbers - I assume the main dealer will know what it is from these.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
IRC there are three vertical boards to the main PCB; these have a line of connections that are prone to cold solder/cracking. So re-solder the points carefully along each line - I also fixed the three pcbs together with some rubber strip across the top, so as to limited any vibration and cracking of the solder. If this doesnt fix then I think you have a different problem and may need to replace the unit. The main dealer is expensive - but I think the E39 has the same unit fitted if you can find one with the exact part number. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi,ive had same and it was amp fault.so undo stuff under spare wheel,get amp out-its a silver box and get it repair it.dont purchase new one-arround £600 not even used-£250.get on ebay and type something like x5 radio amp repair.there are 2 guys one for £99 and another for just 60quid-get a cheaper one,i did-highly satisfied.good luck,let me know how it is

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I am trying to help a friend with his 2006
X5 here in the uk.

Water got into the battery compartment a year or so ago and the radio stopped working. We replaced the box in the boot with the square connector and that has made the sat nav screen work in the front but alas we have no sound through the speakers.

I have tried an in line aux connector which didn't make any sounds come out.

If anyone has any idea's I'll give them a go.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts