BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a puzzeling limiter thing going on here,
In the UK (on private road obviousley) my M3 will hit the speed limiter at 155mph as it should.
Yesterday on the autobahn I went for the limiter and it just kept going, it got to 179mph and still pulling hard, but I had to back off due to traffic ahead and a bend I wouldn't want to try at that speed. While doing 170mph on the clock afterwards it was showing when I reset the average speed it was doing 167mph.
Are the limiters connected to the satnav so it lifted the limiter in Germany or has it just stopped working :confused

·
Registered
2 Posts
most speedometers are out there is an allowable error of 7% +10 mph that is considered NORMAL!, but other things to take into consideration are tyre sizes etc too.

The limiters are not region specific if your car has a limiter fitted it is limited and that is that. However BMW speed limiters are based off the speed sensor in the diff, not the actual speedometer. So it will kick in in a specific gear at a specific RPM

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
most speedometers are out there is an allowable error of 7% +10 mph that is considered NORMAL!, but other things to take into consideration are tyre sizes etc too.

The limiters are not region specific if your car has a limiter fitted it is limited and that is that. However BMW speed limiters are based off the speed sensor in the diff, not the actual speedometer. So it will kick in in a specific gear at a specific RPM
Explain it abit more :cool:thumbsup

I thought limiters reduced the fuel supply :confused

·
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Everything the same, car and tyres the same only difference is German fuel.
I was wondering as to satnav location as I saw a skyline on Topgear that did this and thought it would explain mine on having a limiter on Sunday.

·
1,133 Posts
Seems weird dude, mine tops out at 155 and will not go any higher even tho it still has plenty in the rev range left. Iv been told if you get these mapped there good for 170mph so maybe has a map? But this dont explain why it tops out at 155 over here, it wont have anything to do with the sat nav as this doesnt have any control over your ecu as the skyline does. Confused :hihi

·
Registered
368 Posts
were you in the same gear???

My mates E36 M3 evo is limited in 6th..to 155...but in 5th he can take it to the redline, which is...erm, i was too busy shatting myself to see, but it was faster than 155 :confused

·
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
were you in the same gear???

My mates E36 M3 evo is limited in 6th..to 155...but in 5th he can take it to the redline, which is...erm, i was too busy shatting myself to see, but it was faster than 155 :confused
In the UK the other week it topped 155 in 5th then stayed there in 6th, same as my last M3 evo (e36) did.
The other day it was in top and rolling on from 120 ish.

·
Registered
91 Posts
sounds like limiter might have stopped working, go back on the autobahn and try it again :)

only R35 GTR remove speed limiter when gps detects you are at a certain location.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.