BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got a problem with (what it sounds like) a tyre rubbing-vibrating noise when I do slow speed left turns i.e. into a junction road - but not so much when i do right turns? Also I wonder if these factors play part into these noises:

Upon interval inspection with BMW's 15 point check they have found out that the car has:

A) Visual movement on rear trailing arm bushes

B) Slight movement in O/S/R lower rose joints

Some ppl say it is the diff but I doubt it is as it doesn't sound like grinding...

Also are these two problems linked; can someone link me to realoem to identify these parts please?

Thanks

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
It could be the trailing arm moving around.
Have a look at this mate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZf619hm-bc
This is what happens when they get really bad, the trailing arm controls the toe in and toe out under braking and acceleration. They are big rear wheels on an m3 so if the bushes are bad the wheel will move in the arch.
Hope this helps a bit. :thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Have you tried simulating the problem with someone looking/listening from the outside?

Are there any signs of contact on the arch or tyre?

:thumbsup

Rear trailing arm bushes are shot if there is visual movement and could well be the cause of your problem:frown

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can confirm that under acceleration and braking when going straight does not produce these noises, just it happens when it it moves under its own momentum likei said when only turning slow on tight left's. Anyway at least I can correct the bushes and the joints - hope that will cure the humming-vibrating nois.I'll get it done 2mrw. Thanks the advice boys:)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Well it sounds like the bushes are completely shot anyway so that's the first course of action. Whilst you/mechanic are replacing the bushes check to see if and where the tyre has been touching the arch... It should be easy to spot because it will be free of grime and shiny:hihi

Please keep us posted on your progress:thumbsup

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just had a quote from an indi garage - they wanted £320 for the bushes and the alignment..is an alignment really necessary for some bushes to be replaced? Just how much is a 4 wheel alignment?

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I just had a quote from an indi garage - they wanted £320 for the bushes and the alignment..is an alignment really necessary for some bushes to be replaced? Just how much is a 4 wheel alignment?
Hi mate, yeah having the wheels aligned is neccessary after rear bush replacement as you need to set the toe in and camber on the rear wheels after replacement.
I used a branch of Merityre for my wheel alignment and they would usually charge £65. Its worth having done or the car will not drive quite right after. :thumbsup

·
Registered
865 Posts
Are they rear bushes gone?? 1st couple of years M3 suffer badly with sticking LSD clutches in diff and make rubbing noises only when turning corners, when LSD is active. Modified diff oil cures problem, bought from dealer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are they rear bushes gone?? 1st couple of years M3 suffer badly with sticking LSD clutches in diff and make rubbing noises only when turning corners, when LSD is active. Modified diff oil cures problem, bought from dealer.

I would have thought so - the BMW inspection sheet says: visual movment in rear trailing arm bushes....

Anyway I also get a slight whinning noise ( milk cart sound) when slowing down or in the speed gears of 2 - does that mean I need new diff oil? Also does anyone know what oil/additive to put into the diff?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.