BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - after sending my car to the indi for RTAB replacement - I wanted to align the wheels. The report came in and all were out of alignment apart from the N/S/F. Anyway, they done all the alignments apart from the O/S/F wheel, they said there is a problem as the wheel is physically shunted forward compared to the other front wheel, which indicates some sort of previous collision to screw up the geometry of this wheel.

Anyway they said it cannot be aligned and that either the hub and/or wishbone maybe bent in some way and either one of them will need replacing - but they need to stip down that side to really see wot is going on.

My question being is what they said on replacing on the O/S/F side need doing on the N/S/F as well:confused Hold on, if the N/S/F is fine and can be aligned why do they need to replace other component on this side? Surely if the O/S/R is naff all they do is to replace the affect parts on this side? Am I missing some logic here?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If the O/S/F is that far out then there may not be enough adjustment OR if the wheel IS pushed back then there will be NO adjustment for something like that.

Time to get the tape measure out and the laser pen :rofl

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Ronnie - I think you've missed the point, I'm asking whay does the unaffected side (N/S/F) need replacement when it's the O/S/F is damaged
The reason for replacing the same part on the opposite side is because new parts perform better and therefore you MAY experience an imbalance in the vehicle if this practice is not carried out.

There is no law to say it MUST be done this way, those who don't care about how their car will often just replace the faulty item in order to keep the vehicle legal.

Take a snapped rear spring, common fault on BMW's as they get older. Put a new one alongside one that has done a 100,000 miles and there will be a massive difference.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Ronnie - I think you've missed the point, I'm asking whay does the unaffected side (N/S/F) need replacement when it's the O/S/F is damaged
Sorry bio10155, it wasn't too clear to read :hihi

So they actually said along the lines of.............If we have to fit a hub on the O/S then you will need one on the N/S as well? :confused

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's alright Ronnie - yeah that's what they said.

Just folowing on what A20 said, can i therefore find breaker's part that is of similar age and condition to the unaffected side so it in theory be of similar performance? Just that I've found on fleebay a complete driver's side front hub/suspension/hub from a 2004 M3 - good condition that was scrapped due to water damage - wil this suffice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would get a second op on that mate! if your wheel is back or forward its a caster problem, first thing to check is bottom arm, they alloy, bend easy compard to hub! think hub carrier. the hub is a small disk that the brake disk sits on, very unlikley to bend unless you had a major shunt. hub carrier ties all your components together, ie strut /hub -bearing and bottom arm. they do bend with a good whack, but bottom arm and strutt are the first to go. RAY bodyshop teck. good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.