BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First off, sorry if this has been posted before. I've done a search and not found the answer. If it has been answered, please point me in the direction :)

I've recently bought a 2002 330i Sport E46. I'd like to upgrade to OEM Xenon headlights. The car has headlight washers etc. I was wondering if it would be simply:

Buy the Xenon projector headlights and fit them, or would there be any modification needed in wiring? I know that sometimes Xenon kits can mess up ECU's/computers etc.
I've found a few OEM Xenon headlights on a few websites with ballasts and bulbs too. If it's that simple, I'll probably buy them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would like to do the same but dont like the idea of the DIY kits as I have no knowledge of settings these up and dont want to do a cowboy job.

interested to see what people say.

Take a look at this, this is what I really want! its in the U.S.A, you send in your existing lamp units, they do the conversion and wiring/setting up the ballasts and send it back to you ready to plug in. Amazing results just amazing, wish there was something like this in the U.K!!

http://high-intensity.org/forums/showthread.php?t=388

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've emailed the seller to see whether he would email me a copy of the fitting instructions and a couple of pics of the ballasts.

I'm not entirely sure about these, although the videos look good I am thinking they are possibly low build quality made in china stuff?

·
Registered
354 Posts
hi i have looked into this before and i decided it was too much hastle as you need to get auto levelers on your car as they are ilegal if you dont have any i have just uprated the bulbs in my car and i quite often get people flashing at me on backroads as they shine up when you are coming over hills and bumps without the autolevers so i think im going to have to take them out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
hi i have looked into this before and i decided it was too much hastle as you need to get auto levelers on your car as they are ilegal if you dont have any i have just uprated the bulbs in my car and i quite often get people flashing at me on backroads as they shine up when you are coming over hills and bumps without the autolevers so i think im going to have to take them out.

Hi I have auto headlight adjustment on mine, it auto levels every time I start the car, but I dont have standard xenons in my car. What bulbs did you upgrade to?

I have looked into this and found that the Philips Xtreme 80% are supposed to be the best standard xenon H7 bulbs you can buy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two simple options

fit original headlamps and add a pack of resistors - £10

fit a hid kit- £75ish for a quality one without bulb warnings
As in fit original xenon headlamps? What do the resistors need to be in there for and what part of the circuit? Is this to trick the car into thinking it's still 55w instead of 35w because of the HID's?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Nope

Because youll be puttingin factory xenon headlamps, they run at 35w instead of halogens at 55w.

So it MAY trigger a bulb out warnning or flickering.

You simply add a pair of resistors inbetween the car wiring and headlamp wiring.

They are plug and play.

·
Registered
289 Posts
do the factory fit oem xenons require separate ballasts as well or are they built into the lamp unit? and do you know any cheap suppliers rather than the dealers?

thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi I have auto headlight adjustment on mine, it auto levels every time I start the car, but I dont have standard xenons in my car. What bulbs did you upgrade to?

I have looked into this and found that the Philips Xtreme 80% are supposed to be the best standard xenon H7 bulbs you can buy.
Hi
I dont think you will have auto levelers because my car does that when i start it up but it dosent have autolevers you can check because if you have to adjusting switches beside the headlights you havent got auto levers
Also when i was looking into the hid kits you need a special bmw kit as the bulb holders are different and warning light cancelers i spoke to this place www.xenonshop.co.uk they do a kit its about £120 but you still need autolevelers and washers.
I am using the philips Xtreme 80% they are great but they might be a little bright on the backroads.

·
Registered
289 Posts
So I don't have auto levellers? but everytime I start the car I can see the the light beam in front of me go up and down like it is auto-levelling and I can hear the motors in the light unit from inside the car. So whats it doing if its not auto levelling im confused :confused?

I understand what your saying, sounds like a lot of hassle to upgrade to HID's. Are the Philips xtreme 80% really good bulbs? or is it just marketing bullcrap?

·
Registered
289 Posts
so have I understood this correctly, Auto levelling continuously adjust with the contour of the road i.e up hill, down hill driving, whilst auto calibration is done one off each time the car is started and not continuously whilst driving?

cheers for the clear up

·
Registered
354 Posts
The philips bulbs are good just they might be a bit bright they give out the same lumens and colour as 4000K xenon they have a slight blue tinge to them. I would recomend them i will prob leave them in for a while see how they go they dont look significantly brighter then the standard ones to me tho might compare them see if they are

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
A lot of "xenon-look" halogen bulbs look whiter with a blue tinge but aren't actually any brighter than standard bulbs.

If you do upgrade to HIDs, you'll not regret it, it can be a bit of a hassle for newer cars to do with errors etc but once they're in I don't think you'll regret it I wouldn't go back to halogen now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.