BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, as above really, have been trying to fit a new gearknob and i cant get the old one off. I have pulled,twisted left and right but it wont move!, can anyone help please.
Cheers Christian.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the same problem several months ago and the advice I was given was to just keep pulling and it will come off (but mind your teeth when it does eventually fly :hihi).
Anyway, I simply couldn't get the thing to budge and in the end took a hack saw to it and got it off that way :eek.
Once it was removed I could see that the reason it wouldn't shift was because there is a kind of recessed bit in the gear shaft which a raised ring on the inside of the gear knob slots into (badly explained I know!). It acted like a kind of locking mechanism. Maybe if you tried to prise your current gear knob off from the bottom with a screwdriver to unlock this bit (whilst pulling) you may have some success ...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the opposite i.e. the old worn one kept comimg off too easily.

The new one just clicked in firmly, and I havent felt the need to try to pull that one off.

Clearly they are not fixed in but are designed to click into place firmly. I would suggest that if you are applying brute upwards force get someone to hold the gearstick and gaiter down so that you don't pull up anything you shouldn't !

Good luck.!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the opposite i.e. the old worn one kept comimg off too easily.

The new one just clicked in firmly, and I havent felt the need to try to pull that one off.

Clearly they are not fixed in but are designed to click into place firmly. I would suggest that if you are applying brute upwards force get someone to hold the gearstick and gaiter down so that you don't pull up anything you shouldn't !

Good luck.!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou for your reply's, will have another go. Was pulling like mad last time thats why i thought to ask, maybe a screwdriver job i think.
Cheers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello, Just to let you know i got it off,had to pull really hard and yes i did smack myself in the eye!!.
Cheers Christian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts