BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading these forums for some time now and have got a lot out of it. I recently resolved a tramlining problem with my 330D touring and thought I'd post the solution, give a bit back...

I had been suffering terrible tramlining since fitting new Meyle HD control arms a couple of weeks ago, couldn't think what it could be.

Stumbled accross a post regarding the reinforcement plate and discovered the 8 bolts holding the plate on are "stretch bolts" and should be replace each time. I had tightened the bolts back on when I did the control arms but no where as much as I should.

I bought new bolts, torqued them to 59NM (from memory) then gave a 90 degree, then 30 degree turn. Absolutely solid, my arms were aching after doing this while lying under the car.

Drove the car and the tramlining had disappeared.

I realise this may be a simple thing for most of you out there, but for those, like me, who are new to E46's I was unaware of the importance of this - thought it was just a solid sump guard :hihi

Anyway, hope this helps someone, cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you say tramlining what do you mean? My 318 seems to wander when i drive across white lines etc and the previous owner says it only does that due to it having the bigger than standard M3 alloys on??

Al

·
Registered
947 Posts
Interesting - first time i've heard of this - be interesting to hear what some of the forum veterans think!

One of my bolts is missing due to being cross threaded by a BMW tech.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car had a tendancy to follow lines/groves in the road surface. I was constantly having to steer out of them, now the car just passes over and no correction is needed.

I've got 18" wheels so I would expect a certain amount of this, but it was becoming really annoying.

Well worth the £7 or so for new stretch bolts if you're going to be under the car anyway.

·
Registered
229 Posts
ill deffo give them a go as mine does exactly the same thing since i fitted powerflex's

·
Registered
121 Posts
My car is a 2003 330d touring M-sport.

I’m preparing the swap to powerflex.

I’ve read different instructions reg tightening the bolts fore the reinforcement plate. Haynes manual says to torque the bolts to 59Nm+90+30, while TIS say 59Nm+90.

Which one is correct? Maybe someone with a workshop doesn’t mind to check?

As a side note; according to TIS some cars have reinforcement bars, the bolts to these bars must be tightened to 59Nm+90+30. In other words, TIS has different specs depending on if you have plate or bars.

Also, TIS has a warning, the E46 must never be driven without the reinforcement plate or bars.

Cheers
ojo

·
Registered
388 Posts
I don't suppose anyone knows if the same importance is placed on the E65 tray bolts???
I removed mine a while ago to put new lambdas in, but I haven't noticed any difference in handling????

·
Registered
37 Posts
i recently resolved my tramlining by new control arms, tie rods and tyres and powerflex front and rear.

Didnt get new bolts for the plate, i will do soon, but my handling has improved to perfection!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't suppose anyone knows if the same importance is placed on the E65 tray bolts???
I removed mine a while ago to put new lambdas in, but I haven't noticed any difference in handling????
Btccfan, according to TIS the screws and captive nuts should be replaced, and torque to 56Nm+90 degree. That’s for your E65. And they also say that “driving without the reinforcement plate is prohibited”.

ojo

·
Registered
627 Posts
I fitted the powerflex yesterday due to bad tramlining and just tightened the undertray back up using the old bolts ( thought it was just a sumpguard) it is driving perfect now..is this a big safety issue and what does the undertray actually do as its only aluminium and not really very strong ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think if you tighten them up enough there probably won't be any noticeable difference, even if you are reusing the bolts.

The first time I had the reinforcement tray off, I obviously didn't tighten it enough and felt a difference in the drive. After looking into it I found out they were stretch bolts and replaced them - probably if I'd just tightened up the ones I had, they would have been ok too.

I don't see any safety issues but I'm no mechanic....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts