BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 reg E46 330ci sport convertible doing approx 16k miles a year.

In total its costing me £3250 in fuel plus £1400 insurance, £210 tax, plus services and other general running costs I estimate about £ 5500-6000 a year to keep and run!

Would you say that this is silly amount ?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Well it's all down to you personally. I for example know I could save money by getting a different car, but I'm happy paying more for insurance, parts etc because I love the car and what car I drive is important to me as I do a lot of miles like yourself.

If you go out alot, go places, travel etc and finding yourself short of cash then maybe changing to a coupe or smaller engined BM would do you better, in insurance and petrol costs at least. If you find you have enough money as you are to get by, do what you want etc and keep a great car then it doesn't matter what you pay out.

If you still live at home then changing to a smaller engined BM or coupe/saloon instead of convertible would free up money to start saving on moving out etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Lets see if there are some ways in getting that cost down....starting with insurance, how many years NCB do you have? You tried going on one of these price comparison sites to see if it could be cheaper?

Since fuel is the biggest thing eating out of the costings, and doing 16k miles a year (in a 3 litre petrol), could you benefit from a diesel ? Maybe a smaller more economical engine?

Again as said, it really depends on your finances and how much you love your current car.

Unfortunately, the tax on your 330ci will be going up to £245 from April next year, so that might be another thing to factor in.

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
I have a 02 reg E46 330ci sport convertible doing approx 16k miles a year.

In total its costing me £3250 in fuel plus £1400 insurance, £210 tax, plus services and other general running costs I estimate about £ 5500-6000 a year to keep and run!

Would you say that this is silly amount ?

Cheers
The petrol bill estimate sounds a bit on the high side. If you intend to keep the car for a long time I'd consider a LPG conversion as that will really help get the weekly cost down.

Servicing at an independent should also help cut costs.

Problem is if you ditch the car what would you replace it with? I know a few people who will spend several thousand pounds on top of their current car to get a newer derv to save a few hundred a year which never made sense to me!

The other thing to consider is that BMW's hold their value quite well, you could get another car that costs less to run and then lose a fortune in depreciation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I do like the car alot, but really cant justify spending that amount of money on it a year and as tax going up again soon and fuel going to increase in sept!

I would not fancy a LPG conversion personally. I see what you mean about a diesel version, would cost me like 5k more to buy and only save 800 a year in fuel.

I used to have a 2 seater sport smart roadster and this is what i am looking at going back too, ok maybe not as pokey as the bmw but its more of a drive fast/hard race car and still retuns 52mpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lets see if there are some ways in getting that cost down....starting with insurance, how many years NCB do you have? You tried going on one of these price comparison sites to see if it could be cheaper?

Since fuel is the biggest thing eating out of the costings, and doing 16k miles a year (in a 3 litre petrol), could you benefit from a diesel ? Maybe a smaller more economical engine?

Again as said, it really depends on your finances and how much you love your current car.

Unfortunately, the tax on your 330ci will be going up to £245 from April next year, so that might be another thing to factor in.

Hi,

I am 23 with only 2 years NCB, Have looked on the go compare sites etc and I cant get it much cheaper than i already pay tbh!

I have had a convertibles for the last few years and dont really want to leave the convertible scene.

Dont get me wrong I love the car, but by the time everything has been taken out of my back each month it seem i have very little left and I still live at home!

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Dont get me wrong I love the car, but by the time everything has been taken out of my back each month it seem i have very little left and I still live at home!
There's your answer then - start looking for smaller engined cars that are going to save you money on fuel, tax and insurance and get some insurance quotes on cars you like before hand.

·
Legendary BFuk Member +1
1,138 Posts
its o no-win situation..am about £3000 on fuel..£700 on insurance then road tax...and am payin £330 a month for the finance!!!luckily am getn enuf wages too cover that...itd break ma heart too sell...but if you want a nice car its gonna cost you...most off my m8s rattle £200 a weekend up ther nose and on drink!!ano wot ad rather hav!!thats nearly £10000 a year!!!a new m3 or 335i twin turbo sir!fkn rite a would!!diffrent people..diffrent lifestyles...at least the car will keep you healthy(only if you stop worryn about it):thumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.