BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just managed to get hold of some rear led clusters, but its only the units, What else do i need ?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I have seen a thread on the forum already asking this question and it got answered in quite some detail IIRC.

I will see if I can find it for you:thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you have bought genuine ones, then your current leads should fit. Light control module will need programming after installation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have got genuine ones but the connection is wrong as mine is an earlier model so guessing they changed the plug

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
have got genuine ones but the connection is wrong as mine is an earlier model so guessing they changed the plug
If the two plugs do not fit together then that may well be the case:confused

You'd be better off buying the plug and play type:thumbsup

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would of got the plug and play type but there blumin expensive i think, managed to get these fairly cheap ! I have now found a place called Essential-B-MParts that sell the conversion leads for £ 37.00 all in.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Does that include the resistors too?

Did they say that you'd also need the light control module reprogramming?

This would make a great "How To":cool Do you fancy taking some pictures and doing a write up for the benefit of future members?;)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
are you sure they are for the convertible and not the coupe. There is a small cable which is about 6 inches long that connects to the led light unit and the old cable from the car. Take it to bmw and they will charge you around £60 for a pair. cant remember what part number they are as i have now fitted them to my car.

Also once the lights are fitted your light module will need to be reprogrammed by either a indy or bmw themselves. BMW quoted me £100 plus VAT for this service but I paid £36 to an indy. If you fail to get an answer from bmw send me a PM (private message) and I will take off my lights and get the part numbers for you. I don't want to do this but if you hit a brick wall with your reseach I will have a look for you.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts

This would make a great "How To":cool Do you fancy taking some pictures and doing a write up for the benefit of future members?;)

A20 I had mine done and its a software upgrade. It doesn't work on the pre 2000 cars as the light modules cannot be reprogrammed. The indy who did mine reset all the faults for me at the same time so the only way it can be regrogrammed is with genuine BMW software. A bit of a pain but the led lights do look alot better.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
I have just managed to get hold of some rear led clusters, but its only the units, What else do i need ?

I just remembered that I changed the brake light in my boot lid to a led version. Will you be changing that too? Its very simple and its just 4 spring loaded nuts on the back. Piece of cake to change. their going on ebay for £75 but i got mine for £45 from a breaker.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks tabbassam, The lights came of a 2004 covertible that had suffered major underside damage.

I have now ordered the leads from essential BM for £37.00 all inc. I am not sure if I will change the centre light as yet, not sure if it looks better in clear or red tbh !

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

You dont need resistors, just need the ecu reprogrammed as far as i know.

I can do "how to" for this little project yea no problem. Just got to wait for conversion leads to do the job now !

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
Can I still use the inner boot covers with light from existing fitting? as i did notget these with new lights ?

my ones are behind the carpet to i'm asuming yes. I didn't fit my ones in myself because I let my mate put them in whilst i went to pick up my alloy wheels. I took them out for him and it was only 3 nuts holdng each light in.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
You dont need resistors, just need the ecu reprogrammed as far as i know.

I can do "how to" for this little project yea no problem. Just got to wait for conversion leads to do the job now !
Excellent news about the reprogramming:thumbsup

It would be great to see this as a "HOW TO" :cool

Please keep us posted:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts