BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to find out if anyone else has had this problem and what was done to fix.....

My car sat outside during the recent cold spell,1 morning went out to start her and she wouldnt turn over,got mechanic to look at her. He thought that she had slipped the timing so got her lifted and took to his garage.
On examaning it turned out that she had put engine oil into 5 of the 6 cylinders and therefore wouldnt turn over. Anyway to cut a long story short he changed the crank case breather,cleaned oil from cylinders and give her a service and away she went. Very lucky me thinks lol....

So has this or anything like it happened to anyone else and if so what was the cause and how was it fixed ? Or could it something to do with the baultic temperatures we had?

BTW there is 167000 on my car

Regards

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have replaced a couple of heads in these due to being porous.

Initially rocker gaskets were replaced but did not cure fault.

So i would inspect the head aswell

·
Registered
82 Posts
I thought the 330 lumps were meant to be strong? :confused

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
I thought the 330 lumps were meant to be strong? :confused
They are, but the gasket's used on any engine doesn't always last the life of the car.
The OP said his car has 167000 miles, I think it's good that the rocker cover gasket has only started leaking !

·
Registered
82 Posts
^ Yeah I know the mileage is awesome! If its the rocker cover gasket cover then that's perfectly understandable, what I was referring to was when some of the posters talked about head gasket

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car is still going like a rocket(even with 167000 miles on the clock)-no problems with the spark as no oil is/was getting on them.
Head seems to be grand as theres no water/oil or oil/water mixing, water and oil as they should be.
What i want to know has anyone anywhere had oil go into the cylinders because the crank case breather was clogged?
Or if its the head whats the best way to find the cause?

regards

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
The only way I see oil getting in to 5 of the six cylinders is down the valve stem seals. (it would also be smoking like buggery and using alot of oil) But even then doubt there'd be enough oil in the cylinder head to dribble down once the engines switched off to cause the engine not to turn over. :confused
Will be whatching this thread with interest something just isn't adding up to me here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes XMAK 330d i know what your saying, but car not using any oil apart from a top up every 10-12 weeks, so def not that prob.
BTW apparently you have to change the crank case breather every 2nd-3rd service on diesel models or there will be major problems ie... turbo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you checked your inlet manifold...?? See if there is alot of oily residue in there.

Mine was caked in shit, but it's a problem with owning a big smoker. A petrol shouldn't be bad, but if there is oil in the inlet manifold, and it seems excessive, it could indicate a more serious problem.

Only takes a few seconds to do if you have a large hose with a jubilee clip on attaching it to the manifold. I don't know in petrol variants.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As far as I'm aware on any engine the only way oil could get into the cylinders is like mentioned thru the valve guides, tell tail signs oily residue on the inside of the tail pipes, if its the exhaust guides. Head gasket if this was the case you would notice the engine running very poor and also heaving breathing thru the oil filler cap and dipstick or oil seals on turbo if u have one, enough getting in to cause hydraulic lock would normally make the car smoke bad!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts