BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
My son is planning to change the OEM radio unit to a Sony one he got as a Xmas present from his grand parents

I believe he will need the centring bracket (Part No. 65900410495) but what other cables/connection would be need to retain the steering wheel controls?

Cheers .

·
Registered
506 Posts
Not sure if you can tbh. This is one of the reasons why I've hung onto my Business CD, I'd be interested to find out if there is a way though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am doing the same thing. I'm fitting an Alpine to a 2003 E46 which has the standard BMW Business headunit at the moment.

I think I need the following bits:

Alpine to BMW controls adapter [£4] http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/connects2-can-bus-alpine-adaptor.html
Alpine wheel control unit
Round pin [£25] http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=10226 (but you may need the 'flat pin' version, same price though.)
Facia plate [£10] http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=9397
Antenna adapter
Option 1 [£5] http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=9887
Option 2 [£4] http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=9874 (not sure what the difference between these is)

To know if you need the round pin or flat pin connector the safest way is to look. There is a piece of 'trim insert' around/over the radio - this needs to come out but to get it out you first need to remove the piece in front of the passenger seat. So use a flat blade screwdriver (wrapped in some cloth to avoid scratches) and lever the passenger side piece out, starting at the bottom edge in the corner and work along. It's held in with metal spikes and needs to move directly towards the back of the car (not up or down). Then once that's out do the same with the piece over the radio. Then you'll be able to get at the two screws which hold the OEM radio in. Undo and withdraw the unit carefully. There will be a loom which connects to the back of the unit using a sliding latch system. Slide the latch and it removes the connector from the headunit. You can then inspect the pins to see if they are round or flat.

HTH.

:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also, I wanted to clarify that you WILL need both these bits (or their equivalents) to get the steering controls working. (i.e. not one or the other, you need both.)

Because the cheaper lead goes from the new headunit to the control box on the more expensive lead, which in turn goes to the car. (The expensive lead also carries the power and audio to the headunit/car.)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
oh and when you try to fit it,

theres not alot of room behind the HU, to get all the wireing in

So its best to remove the glove box then you can pull all the wireing through out of the way, and it all sits nicely to the side of the glovebox

glove box comes out easy, a few screws and it pulls out towards you (screws circled in red):

Good luck :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Agreed, my 17 pin block and Connects2 wheel adaptor had to be threaded into the glovebox avea, and I needed to withdraw into the glovebox area them as I slid in the new radio. You have just a few cm of room behind the HU.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A quick question if I may, the BMW controls adapter I assum one end plugs into the cable harness , where does the other end plug into?

·
Registered
165 Posts
A quick question if I may, the BMW controls adapter I assum one end plugs into the cable harness , where does the other end plug into?
Also, I wanted to clarify that you WILL need both these bits (or their equivalents) to get the steering controls working. (i.e. not one or the other, you need both.)

Because the cheaper lead goes from the new headunit to the control box on the more expensive lead, which in turn goes to the car. (The expensive lead also carries the power and audio to the headunit/car.)
In the first image:
- Left side goes to the Alpine radio. (There is a separate lead/socket built into the back of the Alpine radio to accept this 3.5mm jack.)
- Right side goes to the control box in the 2nd image.

In the 2nd image:
- Box at the bottom is the control box, links to the right side of the upper image, and therefore onwards to the Alpine radio.
- Small boxes on the right goes directly to the new radio for power/speaker connections
- Box on the left goes to the car.

HTH

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did the same job recently on my 2004 320d with a JVC HU. If the Sony HU you have is capable of working via the steering wheel buttons it will have a plug/lead on the back, hence you need a manufacturer specific (Sony/JVC/Alpine, etc) lead as well as a BMW/ISO lead/multiplug thingy. On the JVC I can change radio stations, CDtracks, ipod playlists etc as well as volume from the s/wheel.
Like the guys already said its sooo much easier if you remove the glovebox first. Also, fit the adapter fascia plate to the car THEN the HU cage; mine looked pants so I had to re-do it today.:grumpy:banghead

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, my son got the OEM facia today, which seem relatively straight forward to fit, but anyone know what this item is

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hi, my son got the OEM facia today, which seem relatively straight forward to fit, but anyone know what this item is
Hi
i got one of those with my kit aswell,its been on the garage bench for 3 years never found out where it went.Mine has a Becker sat.nav. unit fitted,looks much better centrally mounted with the oem kit,very easy to fit.
Regards Chas

1 - 19 of 19 Posts