BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody I've had my car a few months now and finally got round to joining the forum.

I own an 02 330 ci m-sport which I love but im growing concerned about the oil useage. (sorry if this has already been mentioned onthis forum)

I bought the car in sept and after about 6 weeks the yellow oil light came on. When I bought the car it should of had a oil service but for piece of mind i took it to my mates garage for a full service including oil change and he said everything seems fine...I did about 2000 miles in the car and the yellow light came on again and checking the oil it is on the min mark on the stick.

I've done the usual checks for oil leaks and checking for smoke from the back and all seems fine.

I've read that some E46 330's do go through oil but this seems a bit excessive. I beleive it has got 5W30 oil which was recommened but is it a case that I may need to try thicker oil.

Any advise would be gratefull.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Quite a few threads on here with such questions and answers.

If you are certain there are no leaks or underlying issues, then I would suggest that that level of oil use is consistent with others experiences.

I personally owned a 325i that used a litre/1000 miles from new up to 140k miles and never had any engine related issues, My 330i was better than that though. They are all different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the response. I've just done a search on here and it seems a common issue. i've always had toyotas which never used any oil that may have made me more aware of the issue. I may try a slightly thicker oil and see how i get on.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've read in a couple of places where people have switched to 10w40 semi-synth and report that the consumption is gretly reduced if not gone. The thing to remember if you do that is you service intervals will be closer as you would need to change the oil more regular.

·
Registered
753 Posts
It didn't sound right to me eitheri thought it had to be fully synth its jsut what i Read in either performance bmw or total bmw a couple of times can't rememeber which one it was:confused

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.