BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i amm having trouble with my 2002 e46 330ci convertible HID lights , drivers side always comes on but the passenger side is tempromental, it doesn't come on when i first start the car but sometimes half hour or more later ill notice its on if im behind another car but this is pretty rare most of the time its off . i have checked connections at back ect but they seem ok , only other thing im thinking is maybe ballast problems or faulty bulb ! any ideas , thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
how long has it been you had hid lights. the best thing is to test out the ballast take out the working bulb and plug it in the ballast (non working side) to see if the ballast is working or not. if the bulb lights up then its the other bulb gone. if it's not lighting up the bulb then it's the ballast

but i defo know it the bulb because your say it turn on sometimes which means the gas in the bulb is nearly gone thats why it's taking a long time to warm up

·
Registered
241 Posts
process of ellimination so swap bulb for the other side see if the problem moves with the bulb, if its not the bulb then try swapping the balast, :) yeah what :lol said :hihi

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks i notice on your post (Vinayk) you have 6000k hid's , did you just change the bulbs for the 6000k one's or do you need to change the whole setup ! i gather the standard bmw setup will be 4000k

·
Registered
153 Posts
my 6000k is a hid kit. 2 6k 55watts (instead of 35watts most people got on here) bulbs, 2 ballast old fat style and 2 holders

·
Registered
153 Posts
best will be ebay for them unless bwm but your taking lot of money £80 each

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
iv had look on ebay and came across 2 new hid bulbs (D2s) very reasonable but they give the option of 4000k and 6000k for my car (2002 e46 330ci) so i emailed the seller which has told me they will fit no probs , i thought if you wantedto upgrade to 6000k hid's you had to change ballast ect instead of just changing the bulb ! is this correct or is he talking b***ocks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
iv had look on ebay and came across 2 new hid bulbs (D2s) very reasonable but they give the option of 4000k and 6000k for my car (2002 e46 330ci) so i emailed the seller which has told me they will fit no probs , i thought if you wantedto upgrade to 6000k hid's you had to change ballast ect instead of just changing the bulb ! is this correct or is he talking b***ocks

·
Registered
153 Posts
it depends if the ballast can hold the power but it should be ok because i know guy who had 4300k and change to 6000k with no changes to ballast but it always depends on quailty of bulb

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today iv noticed that the passenger side HID light is still being tempromental even after fitting my new 6000k bulbs , so whatever the problem was in the first place its not went away and the the bulb was not at fault, what else could be causing this problem !

·
Registered
153 Posts
could be the ballast

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coul someone plz tell me where the balast on the 330ci are located as it looks like it may be this due to the passenger bulb taking a while to switch on , iv changed bulbs with no change , seems to be very tempromental .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts