BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i've recently had a loss in presure in my front windscreen washers on my 325ti compact so i changed the motor over and now getting nothing though my washers anyone know why? any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
did you clean the filter out while you were there? I doubt anyone will believe this but I literally (and by literally, I mean 5 mins before i came online) just finished doing the same thing on my 325 compact. ironic huh. I was only coming on to write about it as I read recently that some windscreen wash stuff had gunged up other members cars washers and felt the strainer/filter should be mentioned.

As you have just replaced the pump, Pulling the strainer is a two second job and won't need the tank removing to do it, I only pulled my tank to clean it out. Yank the pump and pull the strainer out.

For mine, this was my half hour on getting home from work:-

My washers had steadily worsened from the start of december but still manged to hit the screen until this morning when it gave up altogether and just produced a dribble. With the cold weather I had suspected frozen pipes then later thought lack of use had let the nozzles clog, all wrong as it turned out. Pulled the pipe today at the nozzles and still almost nothing. Pulled the pipe at the pump and almost nothing. Rammed a wire coat hanger up the pipe just for the hell of making sure it wasnt partially blocked while I was there (but suspected the pump at this point). No blockage at either end by the way so halfords screen wash isnt a gunger by the looks of it.

Pulled the pump and blew it through. no blockage. Used the coat hanger to poke in the bottom of the tank and got a brief power wash then nothing again. Figured there was shite in the bottom of the tank and pulled the tank to flush it as it is only secured by the one bolt (dont forget the water level sensor when you pull the tank).

Where the pump plugs into the tank, the rubber seal has a strainer/filter in the tank itself. Pull the rubber plug out and the strainer is attached. Mine was absolutely black and full of crap (think wrecked engine and magnetic sump plug and it gives some idea of how clogged it was) so it instantly looked like the culprit. toothbrush it clean (use the wifes toothbrush). Toothbrush brought it up like new, so I can't see one of these ever failing and needing replacement.

Shove the strainer and water level sensor back into their respective holes and refit the tank (making sure you run the pipe under the tank bolts captive nut as there isnt much room for error on the pipe length). Refit the pump and pipe and job done.

Just did mine and now at full power again. Takes around 30 seconds to pump water through afterwards by the way.

If none of that works for DJM and the pump is pumping water, I would suspect a blocked pipe, but as it runs in the bonnet its a bit of a pain to clear, strimmer cable might get through the curves though rather than the coathanger. If it is pumping though, run a new pipe to the nozzles and see if they work. Maybe you are a victim of the gunge screen wash and the nozzles are blocked (though all 4 failing seems unlikely).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive just cleaned the filter out totally forgot about it and working fine thanks for the reply anyway nightmare brought £30 pump and only needed a £2 filter brill

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
ive just cleaned the filter out totally forgot about it and working fine thanks for the reply anyway nightmare brought £30 pump and only needed a £2 filter brill
for what its worth, I nearly went the same route mate. At least you got washers again though so from nothing to working it isn't all bad huh? I hate to think how much BMW would have charged you to find the filter was blocked :eek gotta love the forums :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

Fairly new to the forum but just got myself an 02 registered 325ti Sport Compact. Really good fun and a nice quality car.

Has the usual electronic issues though and I'm slowly working my way through the faults.

The next job on the list is the rear window washer. When I fire it up you can hear the motor working but nothing comes out, I've checked and the bottle is full. I've also checked the nozzle and hose coming up from the base of the wiper and that seems clear enough.

I suspect the issue to be the filter you guys are on about here, but in the rear. My question is has anyone seen a good guide to removing the rear washer bottle? Its so tightly paclaged and I don't want to damage any of the trim in the boot. Or is there anything else I should check before I start the removal process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, these forums have been amazing so far in helping avoid the stealerships.

Cheers
Jack

·
Registered
2 Posts
windscreen washers e46 compact

when you switch the washer on can you hear the motor if you can then look next to the
washer tank you can see the washer motor on the rite bottom side of the tank unclip the safty plastic an pull of the motor
you should then see a hole where the motor sits in to on the tank poke it with anything that fits in to the hole
if water starts pooring out form the hole put the motor back on an clip the safty plastic back on and try your washer it should then work

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks!

My washer fluid was just dribbling, read this thread and cleaned out my washer tank and cleaned a completely blocked filter, now have jet wash hitting my windscreen!! Took about 30 mins start to finish.

Brilliant, love forums and thanks for your info!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts