BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every single problem this car develops is related to steering :mad

its driving me nuts...

anyway, along with (still) vibration through the steering wheel at all speeds (gets worse as you go faster).... if you hold the steering wheel dead straight, the cars does not go straight... its not so much a pulling sensation... just that i have to turn the steering wheel slightly to the right to make the car go in a straight line! :mad

most annoying thing ever!

ive had the tracking done about 3 weeks ago and tbh i didnt notice it before i had the tracking done.... now i had the same thing with my corsa and oddly enough i had the tracking done at the same place... do you think something is up with their machine or summat? shall i go elswhere and have it done?

HELP! :mad

Reactions: steve23002

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate. :thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
every single problem this car develops is related to steering :mad

its driving me nuts...

anyway, along with (still) vibration through the steering wheel at all speeds (gets worse as you go faster).... if you hold the steering wheel dead straight, the cars does not go straight... its not so much a pulling sensation... just that i have to turn the steering wheel slightly to the right to make the car go in a straight line! :mad

most annoying thing ever!

ive had the tracking done about 3 weeks ago and tbh i didnt notice it before i had the tracking done.... now i had the same thing with my corsa and oddly enough i had the tracking done at the same place... do you think something is up with their machine or summat? shall i go elswhere and have it done?

HELP! :mad
Try somewhere different for the tracking mate :thumbsup
I had the tracking done at my local place, then the car still didnt feel quite right so i went for a 4 wheel alignment somewhere else. I found out it was miles out from the first place :frown

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it happed all of a sudden, then I would suggest you look at the ball joints for play first.

and how do i check that mate?

·
Registered
11 Posts
With the car up on stands, use a prybar between the lower control arm and the bottom of the knuckle where the ball joint is, and check for play. The best way to really check is a shaker plate test. Ronnie will be along shortly to explain :thumbsup

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like tracking again mate:confused
its a bit of a headache innit A20 :confused

hmmm... anybody wanna explain how to check the ball joints in more detail?

just seems weird that the same place did my corsa and it was exactly the same as my BM after

·
Registered
432 Posts
just seems weird that the same place did my corsa and it was exactly the same as my BM after
Sounds like you are answering your own question here!

I took my e46 for the tracking doing (after accident damage) to a local tyre outfit, car wasnt right!, ended up taking it to CENTRAL TYRES which is a proper place for having this type of work done, 4 wheel alignment with a laser guided machine, not silly little mirrors like the previous garage used.

Anyway, they adjusted the camber slightly on the damaged side via the 3 strut top nuts, they even elongated the strut top holes slightly with a file to gain the correct camber due to (there opinion) the strut top mount being pushed in slighly. The car had been curbed at heavy speed btw.

Costs a few quid more but then again you get what you pay for. car drives great now ;>)

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Could it be possible that both of your cars are set up correctly and what you are experiencing is the effect of the camber of the road ?

Roads do in the main have a right>left slope for drainage purposes with the result that you may appear to have a slight bit of right lock on the steering to go straight ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best Wheel Alignment garage in London

Take it to Goldenwheel in Park Royal, London. They have the best Alignment System and are very cheap compared with everyone else in London. They use the Hunter Digital Imaging technology, you cannot go wrong with that. I found them extremely friendly as well. They also have very cheap deals on Michelin tyres.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.