BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, ive got a 2002 e46 325ti compact. its completely standard apart from the other day i dropped a K&N panel filter in it. now i wasnt expecting massive gains but my car almost felt slower! also ive read that the oil in the filter can be harmfull to the engine? is this correct and would you advise removing it and just putting a genuine bmw filter back in?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
there is a school of thought that says the oil used for dirt suspension on these filters can coat the wires in the MAF and cause spurious readings.
once its been coated simply putting a paper filter back on wont be any use.
dunno if thats true,but you could try cleaning the MAF with some isopropyl.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You won't see any gains as such just putting a filter in anyhow but it will filter out the small particles better and you can clean it so it will save money in the long run

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Previously some oily filters repeatedly wrecked MAFs on my Supra TT, so that went back to using a standard filter and it just went better.

My 328i had the same issue with a K&N, didn't feel great, but i didn't leave it in long enough for it to damage the MAF. I now use a Pipercross filter (more like foam so excellent filtration and no oil on it) as well as an OE paper filter. The pipercross filter I use for town work as the car feels more torquey low down and the OE filter gives better performance at motorway speeds.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Previously some oily filters repeatedly wrecked MAFs on my Supra TT, so that went back to using a standard filter and it just went better.

My 328i had the same issue with a K&N, didn't feel great, but i didn't leave it in long enough for it to damage the MAF. I now use a Pipercross filter (more like foam so excellent filtration and no oil on it) as well as an OE paper filter. The pipercross filter I use for town work as the car feels more torquey low down and the OE filter gives better performance at motorway speeds.
thanks for the info!
i only had my k&n in for 2 days so should my MAF be ok? also how do i clean the MAF sensor? can this be done?
so would you recommend the pipercross panel filter? whats the fuel consumption like after fitting? and is the improvement noticeable? also, do you think i would get away with returning my k&n?

thanks for the advise!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.