BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 325 is my first straight six. I have driven a number of 4 cylinder beemers, and a couple of v6 fords, but this is my 1st inline 6.

So, to the problem. It was only noticable to me when sat stationary with the engine running. The car had a slight sideways rock going on. Not major, but definitely noticable. Until now I didn't know any different and thought it was normal.

I had the big fat vaguely expensive number 2 service today. As soon as the mechanic got in the car and started it, he drove the car 20 feet to where I was stood and asked if it had any engine problems I knew of as it seemed to misfire when he started it. Cue one very worried owner. So off I went for a nice long walk while the nice chaps at Baymow worked on my pride and joy.

I came back a couple of hours later and the same mechanic collared me and told me the front wishbone bushes were knackered, though unusually there was no play in the wheels, but he also told me he thought he knew what the misfire and lumpiness of the motor was. He told me all this with a vague smile going on. The kind of smile that wallets sweat over was what I was thinking.

He then put my mind at rest by handing me the defective part and said we were waiting for the new part to be delivered. One hour later the car was fixed and only 40 quid was added to the bill.

The problem once seen was self explanatory, even if the reason for the failure wasnt. The misfire wasnt a misfire, and the lumpiness of the motor was all down to the one failed component.

I hadn't realised just how smooth the straight six really was until today. I love the car more than ever now. With the service, new plugs, new bushes and none lumpy motor, its like a new car.

The failed component? The bloody cooling fan. The picture of the failed fan as it was on removal is shown below this text.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to say, service cost me 300 quid, with the fan and V-Belt adding another 45 quid to the bill. David Holmes BMW in stockport were going to hit me for 400 quid on the service alone, so all in all, not bad. Baymow is an indy in Hazel Grove by the way. Been there forever (well at least 10 years) and only do beemers. A nice touch at the end of all this, was that they washed the car and hoovered it before giving the car back. Its a small thing perhaps, but I appreciated that extra effort.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent owned the car long. But long enough to know that the previous owner not only scrimped on service costs, but was also a complete tit. I figured this one service was going to be a 'let a pro do everything it needs' service.

Plus, and this is important. I couldnt be ar$ed. Plus the costs are reclaimable as the car came with a six month warranty. So, much as it costs me now, I will get the money back for the fan/belt replacement. similarly, the bushes will also be at their cost. Even though the cost is being borne by the warranty, I object to paying too much to BMW directly.

I have a rule in life. Always take the easiest route, and if possible, make sure somebody else can be blamed.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, have the engine mounts and transmission mounts been checked as it's rare for fan blades to break off unless there's a underlying problem :)

Also check the fan cowling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.