BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I have a 325i SMG 2002 model yesterday while driving home suddenly the yellow engine light come on the engine went into limp mode as if it was firing only on 5 cylinders so i stopped the car switched the engine off then switched back on the engine light had gone out and the engine was running 100% again when i got home i connected my code reader on but the car had no codes registered on it then today the same thing happened again while driving there was like a misfire when i accelerated the yellow engine light came back on and the car went into limp mode i again stopped and restarted the car and it was fine again i used the car after wards and is still fine got home connected my code reader to the car and again no codes registered on the ecu this is really bugging me as it did the same thing about a week ago any ideas any help welcome i have been looking everywhere but does not seem to be a common fault other similar faults involve other lights or other ways the codes get registered thank you in advance for any help...

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
if the light has lit there will be a code stored your code reader is prolly not up to the job ide say..

·
Registered
388 Posts
Had sort of the same thing with wifes fabia after I'd hit the lpg button by mistake when it was very cold (the tank was proper empty but it tried to go because of the extreme cold), misfire, engine light, no limp mode but only running on 3. All cleared when restarted. Did have a misfire code though but I have got a good reader so I'd have to agree with above.
I can only presume it was because of the misfire from lpg and then the engine didn't let that cylinder run incase any other damage occured.
Are you sure your's was in limp home mode???? Could you rev it much??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there

my code reader has never let me down before and i paid good money for it as well the car went into limp mode the engine sounded like it was firing only on 5 cylinders also lately have noticed that when on a low speed and then accelerating the car sometimes stutters a problem i did not use to have before

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
by definition if a light has lit the fault has met the standard OBD trigger criteria which eleminates spurious codes and faults, the fault must have bin present for a long enough time frame and frequency to trigger the light up..

which light lit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked on the owners manual and it says its the Engine light a yellow one....i have googled it and it has been said by others as well that sometimes the light might come on and no code will be registered on the ecu

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
engine emissions deterioration light there must be codes or pending codes stored..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi m8

yes that`s the one.....Could it be that there are no codes or pending codes due to the yellow light switching off when the car is restarted

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there

same thing happened this morning but this time the yellow light stayed on after a restart and i was able to read the code which is P1343 MISFIRE ON CYLINDER 1 WITH FUEL CUT OFF any ideas coil,spark plugs the car is idling perfect and this is only happening every now and then it might go for hours again till it happens again

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would swap number 1 coil with another cylinder and see if the fault moves, if it does then you need a new coil. Common enough problem. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts