BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car alarm has been going off randomly recently for no reason, it went off twice last night which isn't good, anyone know what it could be and what is causing this to happen??

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same problem mate and it was been doing my head in for a while, I changed the battery and it cured mine:)

Also the bonnet switch on the drivers side at the back can sometimes play up. you can simpley unplug it and see if it makes a difference first.

·
Registered
146 Posts
+1 with battery - can play havoc with electrics. The cold weather coming in doesn't help matters. Also check bonnnet switch.

If still going of, isolate the ultrasonics, but pushing lock button twice (once to lock then pause briefly and push again) from remote fob. This will help to determine what might be causing it.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
last time i had that it was a giant bluebottle the kept taking off and flying around the inside of the car..

a roled up daily mirror dispatched the offender and cured the the alarm problem...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your car's a convertible, yes? Make sure you've got no coins in the centre armrest, this is notorious for setting off the microwave sensor the convertible uses instead of the ultrasonics. As somoene else suggested, you can disable the movement sensor by pressing the lock again once the car's locked. The next most likely thing is definitely the bonnet switch, disconnect to test as already indicated.

Cheers
JM

·
Registered
753 Posts
Mine was doing this the other week, turned out to be the bonnet switch. Disconnected it umtil i got a new one which was only about £9 from the stealers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone for your suggestions! yeah its a convertible and i do keep coins in the centre armrest so i will get rid of them and see if that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts