BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have opened this expecting to read a helpful list of possible problems to be expected (at certain mileages) I was hoping to get your assistance in compiling such a list and eventually placed as a sticky when edited. I realise that this could extend to quite a long list but I'm trying to get the most popular issues listed at the top. This could assist others newer to this forum and serve as a preventative guide should people wish to check or change stuff before failure.

Here's a start based on my experience:

General
- Boot lid mounted fog/reverse lenses detached from housing (84k miles or earlier) - £70 DIY - I've noticed several cars in car parks with this fault!
- Front wishbones rear bushes deterioration, symptom was low road speed steering wheel shake (84k miles) - £50 DIY

M54 Engine
- Thermostat stuck open, symptom was wandering temp gauge at cold end, not at 12 o'clock as it should be when warm - £50 DIY
- cam cover oil gasket leak onto exhaust manifold, symptom was visible staining/drips at right rear (next to brake master cylinder) and burnt oil smell in cabin (110k miles) - £38 DIY

My Passenger door window control works occasionally to lower window when opening. Have lived with it as glass doesn't hit the roof drip rail

I'm expecting to replace the radiator, water pump and reservoir at some point based on other people's experiences but no symptoms of leaks or anything else yet.

The computer shows no faults but at 112k miles I'm also expecting issues with the cam inlet and exhaust sensors and oxygen sensors as people seem to be changing these a lot.

To widen this list to all E46's I have started a separate list for engine type assuming everything else is reasonably common to all models.

If you have anything to add that you believe to be a popular fault, please cut and paste the lists and add these with mileages.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 70,000 mile 325ci Sport and the most annoying fault has been the wandering and tramlining on worn road surfaces. A 4-wheel Hunter wheel alignment has provided a massive improvement and comes highly recommended.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts