BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Hoping for some knowledge here...

I'm experiencing very rough/loud/clunking/general "un-solidness" after heavy acceleration in my e46 Compact 320td- The car drives fine if driven responsibly lol :hihi but any sudden hard acts seem to render very strange noises and general roughness from the engine, it then goes back to normal.

The car is 2002, 117k on the clock and looked after :) It's difficult to explain any better but it's like the engine/bay isn't as solid as it's always been & almost feels loose...

Please help! I'll be very grateful!

K.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mad Dave & Scorpio, thanks for getting back to me!

I took it up to my local indy (good, honest guy) and was flying round his area like looney's trying to replicate it and guess what, it wouldn't bloody do it! The best he could do is rev the arse off it and try to move the engine, it seemed pretty solid but that's literally the bonnet up, moving it with hand/accelerating.

Like I said before it, like it is loose in the engine bay, the normal refinement and solidness of the engines isn't there at the moment, it's kind of a hollow feeling after belting it coupled with rough idle/clunking noises even under 5mph after the belting (for example belting it into a car park, the slowly manoeuvring it into a bay etc)

Cheers Guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a Peugeot that made a strange clunk/knock only on hard accleration, the engine mount looked good and you couldnt move the engine by hand.
As a matter of course I took the engine mount out, thinking the cradle may be cracked (common problem on pug 306's) only to find the engine mount was in 2 pieces!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys again, defo needs some exploration, out of interest, is it quite a simple job in terms of mechanic labour? Service due soon you see?

thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Dave, All standard, I do drive it well though, if you know what I mean :lol

It's been a great little car so far, I've done the crank case breather and a few other DIY mods but no tuning.

Cheers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've noticed a strange "Clunk" or "Thud" right after the acceleration too, performance seems fine until hammer then the noises start etc..Hoping it's just the engine mounts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
One of your engine mounts may have ripped..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts