1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there :D
i bought some 18 inch m5 wheels they were brand new,
for my 320td compact.
and i put brand new tyres on them aswell.
but then i was a journey to the cinema and i had a blow out on the
rear of the car and i discovered the inside corners of the tyres had worn threw too the canvas.
The tyres has only done less than 8000 miles and the front too were like new.

i jus wondered if anyone had any ideas why the wheels has done this????
:confused
many thanks ben

·
Registered
83 Posts
did u have ur tracking done wen u fited ur new wheels ?
did u check forwear on your old tyres ?
im not sure about camber but that may need adjusting toooo

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
868 Posts
I have no idea of how the rear axle on a 3-series looks (fully independent with a torsion bar and coil springs?) but I would look at collapsing springs, rear axle adjustments, worn rear axle components causing the rear wheels to have a small toe-out and tyre inflation. If the rear axle is slightly out and your tyre pressure too low you can get the problem you describe - if it is a lot out you'll get it even with correct tyre pressure.

I assume the car has not had a serious rear shunt or been subjected to something else that could cause rear end deformation sometime in its life but if you can't find the fault in the points listed above you need to have it measured out for body and suspension alignment.

There is another issue I would like to raise here: a car has a particular type of wheels for a reason (or, in fact, many). This is particularly true for a brand like BMW, featuring unsurpassed engineering (fielding an F1 team without just hiring McLaren or one of the other UK expert manufacturers is just about as high as you can get on the auto engineering ladder).

So, instead of just sticking on a different type of wheels you should perhaps take, and follow, some qualified advice - and I don't mean the contents of a fleabay listing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all yo advice,
i will have a look at everything you have suggested and let you know how i get on,
i`m thinking about selling the wheels anyway.
many thanks ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts