BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone could help me out a bit. i have an 02 320d (150bhp) and the turbo went one morning, oil out the exhaust, car kept running with no key, so i stalled it in 2nd gear. I was told i needed a new motor so i opted to clean out the cylinders, intake, intercooler and all hoses along the way. Installed new turbo and the car runs fine. After about 3 miles the turbo started whining. Im pretty sure i primed the turbo properly, fed it some oil and turned the wheel. Turned the car over till i had oil comming out the return line, tightened the hose, and let it run at idle for 10 mins. Ive heard bad reports about the place where i got the turbo, it was a rebuilt one, and i paid £400. I changed the crankcase breather which i assume was the original cause of failure as it was the original and was caked up beyond anything i expected. (didnt check it as ive only had the car 3 weeks) I also changed the oil inlet and return hoses. Can anyone think of anything i missed or is it safe to assume the turbo was faulty. I also notice a little endplay on the wheel, as in side to side, but no in and out movement. Thanks

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Slight side to side movement is standard on the impeller wheel.

You don't say if you changed the oil and filter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry yeah major detail there. Changed both oil and filter. Also changed the exhaust front to back, got a used one with just over 50k on it.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah its number 11. The old type had a sponge type filter inside it, the new updated one doesnt, it has what i would describe as a plastic cartrdige inside it.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you spoke to your turbo supplier yet Simon?

Also did you check out the pressure converter for the turbo?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spoke to the guy that built it on wed, he said to bring it in and he would fix it. No questions or comments which i thought was odd. Pressure converter?? What does this do, and do you know where it is?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Ronnie. Which i presume would be likely to cause turbo failure. Do you know if there is a way to test it, or would it be worth changing just in case. Ive also had a couple of people ask me about the integrity for the used exhaust. Do you think that could cause problems?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The exhaust should matter greatly, it shouldn't make the turbo start whining after 3 miles.

Can you see your actuator rod easily enough on your car? If so it should fall in towards the engine when the engines switched off, see here for example(is a 136bhp though) http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GAZVInHlIZ4&feature=related

When revved up if the rod stays pulled in then it's not getting the pressure released.

If the vacuum pipe gets disconnected the natural position for the vanes is least boost.

See here for better understanding http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/vnt15-turbo.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rod is actually quite easy to see as i have all of the plastic covers in the boot! Id give it a go but unfortunately i took the turbo off yesterday to bring back to be fixed. Should have it back mid-week and will certainly update you with the news of the repair and the rod movement. Thanks for your help, true gentleman

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update on turbo chaos. brought turbo to the supplier who assures me that the turbo is good. reinstalled last night still whining which increases with revs. actuator rod is working properly I can see it moving with revs. any ideas anyone im stumped on this!

·
Registered
199 Posts
No problem mate. Look forward to seeing it. My turbo whines whilst accelerating. Will be interesting to see if it sounds the same.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Interesting:

Oil changed and filters etc. so little chance of debris etc. being stuck in there.

Turbo checked and supposedly fine.

Is the tension set up correctly on all your belts (not just on your turbo, you're just assuming it's the turbo, but it might be elsewhere, if anything else has been touched while working on it.)

Did you re-install the heat-shield correctly???, this will vibrate at different RPM's if not fitted right (BMW managed to install my brackets upside down, and it 'whirred' at set RPM's with the vibrations).

Is your exhaust and manifold tightened and sealed, this could be a sign of possible pressure escaping somewhere??

ATB,
Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
have you tried puting a long metal screw driver or similar on different parts of the engine and putting your ear too the end of the screw drive with the engine running and keep moving the screw driver around the engine too see when the whine noise is most clear.

sound travels through the engine and some noises can often be mistaken for other noises.

does that make sence?
let us know how you get on with this.

out of quorsity were did you buy your turbocharger from?
i also need to buy one,lol ive seen some on ebay for £450 new but there not Garratt and probley wont last many miles as cheap copys never do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry about the lack of video, i tried recording it with my camera and the noise didnt show up. I have been driving the car to listen to the whine whilst under boost and as a result the whirling sound that the car makes while in neutral goes away when the car heats up. When its cold you can hear it from about 2000rpm upwards, but when you get to about 3000rpm it turns into a loud high pitch whirling noise, the same noise that the original turbo made about 30 seconds before it let go. When the car is warm it is absolutely fine until just over 3000rpm, when it makes the high pitch whirling noise, but if you keep the boot down, it fades and goes away. The belt and tensioners are good, and the heat shields are still in the boot. I havnt checked the exhaust manifold, sound advice will do it first thing in the morning. I got the turbo from a place in ballygowan called g.p turbos. I wouldnt recommend the place only because when i went back to say that it was whining the guy told me to take it off and bring it back, then when i brought it back, a different guy got quite annoyed that i was saying it was whining, said there was nothing wrong with it, and basically laughed at me for not bringing the whole car, but as i told him, i just followed the other guys instructions. Im not even sure if its a turbo issue, im taking it to a local garage in the morning to get looked at, i will definately let you know what happens. If the turbo is ok, at £400 for a rebuild, the price is right, they just dont know how to deal with customers. ***easily my longest post ever***

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i spent my saturday morning driving around local garages and they all come up with the same idea, its a duff turbo. Ive basically known this all along but just wanted to be certain before i go back to the guy that sold it to me and rip his head off. Thats a fun task for monday. Also checked the exhaust manifold, seems fine with no apparent leaks. Cheers for everyones help, will let you know how the royal rumble on monday goes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts