BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
i,m trying to find out if anyone has had turbo failure on the 320 e46 2002, and been refused payout from warranty company, and for what reason they stated, so if you have had this, please reply to this thread, thanx sparkym1b:

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Hi Sparky, sorry to hear of your problem:frown

Has the turbo definitely been diagnosed as being at fault?

Have a read here just to make you aware of other associated problems with the E46 diesel engines http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/bmw-e46-diesel-info-t5537/

There was a thread on here discussing the BMW warranty procedure before but I cannot find it:confused

I think Boostist may have more information regarding the procedure but I think recently BMW have been digging there heels in and trying to get away from paying out. Have fired into them yet or have you just been all nicey nicey about it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sparky,

I'm in EXACTLY the same boat as you. Two weeks ago my turbo failed on my 2003 320d (108k).

Warranty is through APA/AutoProtect (Administration) - thieving bastards.

Took 8 days to inspect my turbo, then I was told as it failed due to carbon build-up ("wear and tear") it isn't covered. See my thread here: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/2003-e46-320d-turbo-blown-possibly-more-advice-t10032/

I'm not sure what could cause turbo failure that COULDN'T be attributed to wear and tear, yet my policy specifically included the turbo.

I'm considering legal action and so on, just doing some research first. For the time-being the turbo has been sent to MidlandTurbo to assess if they can recondition it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Turns out the turbo wasn't in a fit state to recondition, so I've just paid £688 (inc vat + shipping) for a brand new Garrett one. Which is cheap compared to some places, but still a lot of money to me.

My fingers are very much crossed the damage stops at a turbo - if the engine is gone I'll have to throw the car away.

I have bought a new breather filter and oil pipe to go with the turbo and will instruct the garage to blow through the intercooler and clean out the EGR valve. The cat has been removed, hopefully most excess oil will drain out. MOT is due in two months!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers A20 RYM
i am havin the new turbo fitted the newer version, and will be speaking to engineers at cardiff university ,to see if they will test to see why turbo failed, then depending on results, will start legal action against bmw or warranty company, will keep every one informed what ever results , this prob cant go on costing innocent bmw motorists ££££££'s when it is such a common fault,,, sparkym1b

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd be interested to see what they make of it.

I'm not really disputing that mine was due to carbon build-up... it's more the fact that what probably caused the carbon was a blocked breather filter, which is not on the service schedule so how could I have prevented it? It did fail prematurely because it wouldn't have failed if the carbon wasn't there.

I think I might have to try to be an arsehole to try to get them to change their mind. I have the name of their chief executive and dozens of the dealers who resell their warranties. Do you think I would have much luck addressing my complaint to the CEO (his secretary will at least read it) and threaten to forward my correspondence and a list of alternative warranty providers to all of their dealers?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi sdp
i would personally try anything to get a resolve, too many people have been caught with this turbo problem, bad design , bmw should have done something sooner , i spoke to a chap earlier this week he brought his brand new and his turbo gave out at 60000 miles , regular service and still had to pay out with no help crazy,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.