BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2002 E46 320d tourer tappet rattle

Tags
tappet
4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jazzy29 
#1 ·
Hi new to this site, i have just last week bought my 1st bmw, the car is great to drive and as this forum advises 1st job was to get oil breather changed along with oil and filter.
the car has all been done and was even advised to run half normal size bottle of redex (diesel treatment) to full tank of diesel.
since i have put the redex in tank and changed oil filter ect the car has a tappet rattle (like petrol cars pinking) when at low-mid revs no noise above mid revs.
i filled car at tesco and wonder if this has caused the problem i read that tesco fuel is useless.
car didnt have noise until after the oil, breather filter ect.
the garage where oil and filter was done used castrol edge 5-30 oil as book.
i wonder if this oil is a bit thin or will annoying noise go away when car uses tank of fuel that has redex in it.?
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
seemingly additives like redex will quietn it slightly by expanding the oil seal..but doesnt last long..try holding a screwdriver against the cam cover and against your ear tooidentify the noisy one...ther is a special tool you get too compress the valve and hook out the rockers before lifting out theold hydraulic tappet and rplacing it...i just happened too read about this in a bmw mag earlier:thumbsup

#3 ·
the car has all been done and was even advised to run half normal size bottle of redex (diesel treatment) to full tank of diesel.
Sounds like one of the injectors is making this rattle, they can make some funny noises if they arn't spraying properly?

Possibly a bit of dirt has come loose after using the redex and is stuck in one of the injector nozzles. Try changing the fuel filter and run some more injector cleaner. Give it a good blast down the motorway to clear it.

#4 ·
Hiya, ive done the blasting car bit but its still the same brain warpping tappet rattle, only thing is when car not in gear there is no hint of tappet rattle!! then put in gear and its back rattling away when in gear a bit early or when accelerator pressed hard.
wonder if mechanic who changed crank case breather has knocked something off when changing over.
car is running great apart from this tick!!
could shell fuel be answer when tesco fuel in car is done?
thanks very much.
jazzy29

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.