BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone knowledgeable can answer a couple of questions i have regarding suspension. I've returned my car back to the standards springs today, i had a set of Eibach springs fitted but the car was sitting a little too low to avoid scraping the exhaust on my driveway.
My first question is why are the rear springs a much heavier rate than the fronts? I would have thought that with the weight of the engine the fronts would be the stiffer ones.
Secondly, can any one tell me what the paint marks on the springs relate to what model? I understand there are different springs for different cars but there seem to be so many variations, the springs have one or more paint marks on them in various colours i was wondering what car takes what spring.

regards,

Shrekster.

·
Registered
153 Posts
the best thing is when you want to put lowing springs on a e46 just do front only leave the back as it is because if you lower the back the ass will just sit on floor and e46 will look awful my friend

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Which Eibach set did you have fitted, the Pro-Kit get rave reviews on the E46 but afaik the Sportline isn't as favoured. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My first question is why are the rear springs a much heavier rate than the fronts? I would have thought that with the weight of the engine the fronts would be the stiffer ones.
The weight distribution on BMW's is near 50/50 as is. Add 4 rotund adults & their luggage, and the rear gets loaded like a minicab on the way to Gatwick. So, in my case, the front Eibach's are rated to 935kg, and the rears to 1190kg.

The colouring on the springs are some in-house code. Who knows?!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the Pro-kit fitted but took them off, they drop the front about 30mm and the rear about 25mm so they are not that extreme. They are a little firmer than standard but not overly so. My wife and i go to Skye several times a year and the single track roads there can cause the car to ground out. Even with the standard springs you still have to 'navigate' around the worst of the bumps and potholes. For these type of roads i prefer the factory springs as they have a little more ride height and are a little more forgiving which gives a more supple ride.

Shrekster.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure what they are worth, they have been on the car for about 2-3000 miles at most so in pretty good nick.
Make me an offer!

Shrekster.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some pics of the springs, they are in great condition. I've tried to show where the powder coat has become dull where it contacts the car, there are also some very minor chips.

Shrekster.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I'm gonna have to let these go mate, minor bump in the car on the way home so I need to shell out for the repairs :frown

For anyone looking at these springs the numbers have been verified as Eibach Pro Kit Springs :thumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts