BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello every one, im new to the fourm and i hope to meet and help as much as i hope you can help me.

i been offered a 320d 2002 plate,manual, 108k millage, but all ive been told about it is the turbo is died and needs a new one.

its 160miles each way to go see it & im not too clued up with diesel engines, ive searched this forum as much as i possible to find it could be many of things.

im quite mechanical minded and used to tuning skylines.

but from what ive read on here about the 320d set up its a whole new ball game.

im going too ring the lad back tomorrow too ask him how he knows its the turbo, im used to the symptom of no boost and loads of blue smoke is suspect turbo failure, is it the same case with the 320d?

what should i ask the person to diagnois the actual problem?

what type of cost am i looking at too repair it? (best to worst case)

ive read a few posts were theres be engine damage due to the turbo how can i check this before i buy it?

is there a way i can get the person to check before i drive all the way down too him?

i apologize for all the question but as you would expect i want too know what im letting my self in for before i commit.

hope some one could help me out.
thank you in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi ive spent the last 2hrs reading up on threads.

can any one tell me if it is possible too check the swirl flaps are still in place with out removing the inlet manifold?
If not how long does it take too remove the inlet manifold? is it a 20min job or more of a couple of hours?

also how easy and quick can i get the inlet of the turbo to check if the turbine for play?

also what should i look for engine wise to diagnose the flap as gone in and damaged any think?

im planing on driving 200miles too go check this bmw out and dont want to buy it thinking its going to be a simply change of turbo to find it needs another engine as funds wont allow this.

if i do buy it i will change:
oil & filter
remove the swirl flaps
change turbo breather

just cant afford another engine as well as buying a turbo and buying the car and having it recovered home.

im tune skylines for a living so pretty good with mechanical stuff.
hope some one comes along soon to help me out.

im on msn if any one wants too add me and explain what i need to look for.
[email protected]

cheers people :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
It will take a couple of hours to remove your inlet manifild I'm afraid. It it makes you feel any better, I have a 320d SE 2002 with 98 on the clock. When I removed the manifold to inspect the swirls flaps, I found them to be in perfect condition with hardly any carbon build up on them. I removed them anyway for piece of mind. The job is pretty easy, but not really something you can do whilst having a look around a motor, lol.

As for diagnosing a flap in the engine, I should imagine it would be blattantly obvious something is wrong as the damage will be substantial.

As far as the turbo failure, how does the seller know for sure it has gone?

If it does need a new one, this might be a bargain for you: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=130282890835&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

Hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Ray, thanks for the reply.

the lad im buying it off said that it seemed to lose all power and loads of black smoke, so he drive to a local garage and the told him the turbo has failed and will need a new one.

so he drove it home and not used it for 2mths now.

ive never heard the 320d running in good condition so not sure what there meant too sound like or if there's meant to be slight tapping noising etc.

is there any way to check the turbo when i get there?
pull the inlet pipe off and check for play or turbine damage?

what are the chances of it just being a wastgate problem?

i see that turbo on ebay, thank you for pointing it out too me also.
but cant bid on it until i know for sure to buy this bmw.

thank you for the help todate.
regards
rbs13

·
Registered
46 Posts
Been a while from i have posted on ere, im sure you may have come across posts written by myself regarding the turbo on my motor goin if not have a look!
Mine ended up being the worst case senario, turbo failure and total engine damage! :eek cost an absolute fortune getting it fixed, pretty stupid really considering it would have cost the same for a replacement engine but didn't know it was as bad until i had the new turbo and breather fitted!
I'm no tech but i think the breather was clogged starving the turbo of oil causing it to seize up.. spooled up only in higher revs and when it did, it sucked everything from the sump into the intercooler then the inlet, which in turn caused piston, conrod and injector damage! in total IIRC £3600 inc labour! needed a full rebuild! I was a good 70mile from home when it went and it was the drive home that done the damage!:banghead

If the guy has been driving it with a blown turbo be wary as the damage could already be done to all of the internals!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi sean,
he claims it has not been driven, it still idels and revs ok & the garage told him the only part that needs replacing is the turbocharger its self.

having trouble finding one though for under £400. even a 2ed hand unit from a salvage car.

is the any signs i should be looking for when i view it too see if there is any engine damage?

·
Registered
233 Posts
hi rbs13

from experience stay 200miles away from anyone selling a car and giving suggestions of whats wrong. I bought a car with suspected coil plugs however in the end I found out it was a £2000 engine job needed.

I can guarantee that you will need a new engine on top of a new turbo.

One thing that ppl trying to sell off cars that have something wrong with them is that they make out as if there is only one thing wrong with the car but then you find out thats not the only thing. So steer well clear of any cars that need work on them as they are only covering up other major problems.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi sean,
he claims it has not been driven, it still idels and revs ok & the garage told him the only part that needs replacing is the turbocharger its self.

having trouble finding one though for under £400. even a 2ed hand unit from a salvage car.

is the any signs i should be looking for when i view it too see if there is any engine damage?
Well i had originally thought all i needed was a turbo so ended up buying a new one, maybe one of the newest in the line of something like 15 designs(may be wrong) that all had problems with failure.. same 1 used in X3 IIRC! it cost £850 with all the necessary gaskets and the knew design turbo breather! I didnt want to put a recond or salvaged one on as they aren't that reliable. The reconditioned turbo's that are available are more than likely the older design that are destined to fail again while salvaged 1's, well you dont know exactly what sort of mileage and abuse it has suffered..

I knew and my mechanic confirmed that there was engine damage as after the new turbo and breather where fitted the engine idle was very "lumpy" and if there where any rev's given to it there was a slight knock tho it was very hard to distinguish from the diesel clatter (try and get under the car and use something like a large screwdriver to listen for the knock, something like using a glass against a wall, same principle! place one end of it onto the sump and listen at the other). :hihi.. also after taking the inlet off to get to the glow plugs the engine was compression tested and found to be down in compression in 3 of the cylinders.. so a rebuild or engine transplant was imminent..

Hope this helps! :thumbsup

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Hello every one, im new to the fourm and i hope to meet and help as much as i hope you can help me.

i been offered a 320d 2002 plate,manual, 108k millage, but all ive been told about it is the turbo is died and needs a new one.

its 160miles each way to go see it & im not too clued up with diesel engines, ive searched this forum as much as i possible to find it could be many of things.

im quite mechanical minded and used to tuning skylines.

but from what ive read on here about the 320d set up its a whole new ball game.

im going too ring the lad back tomorrow too ask him how he knows its the turbo, im used to the symptom of no boost and loads of blue smoke is suspect turbo failure, is it the same case with the 320d?

what should i ask the person to diagnois the actual problem?

what type of cost am i looking at too repair it? (best to worst case)

ive read a few posts were theres be engine damage due to the turbo how can i check this before i buy it?

is there a way i can get the person to check before i drive all the way down too him?

i apologize for all the question but as you would expect i want too know what im letting my self in for before i commit.

hope some one could help me out.
thank you in advance.

RBS,

Im not sure if you have bought this yet but heres what you can do to find out.

To check the turbo you can remove the intake pipe and manually and visually inspect the inlet compressor. if it is damaged or not free spinning there is a problem!! To check the exhaust compressor you would have to remove the turbo....which if your needing to ask means you shouldnt try it!

There can be engine damage (often) when a turbo fails.

The main problem with the turbo failure iirc is an oiling issue to the turbo or possibly extended oil service intervals
honest john said:
320d M47 150bhp models gained a reputation for repeated turbo failure, possibly due to extended oil service intervals. After replacing turbo, ECU needs to be reprogrammed. Also instances of injector failure. BMW says that only EU3 320d engines built before October 2003 are affected by the turbo problem
A swirl flap could have broken and the engine ingests the flap, breaks it up and spits bits through the exhaust valves into the turbo :jaw-dropping Thats an expensive one!!

If its just turbo failure then it may not have damaged the engine internals depending on what failed.

Does the car run?

You need to have it compression checked as a matter of importance!! If compression is down on any cylinders, walk away as theres internal damage and it will be very costly.

Blue smoke and no power/boost is indeed a sign of turbo failure. if the engine runs sweetly apart from that, compression check it and if all is ok, it is probably just the turbo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BOOSTIST - thank you for the advice im going down to check it tomorrow. ive asked the owner too go back to the garage who checked it to get a report on paper before i buy it.

i would like too compression test it but not sure how long it will take to remove the inlet manifold as ive never removed one on a 320d before, but if it can be removed with in around 30min i will have a go and remove the glow plugs and compression test it.
what should each cylinder be?

if i remove the turbo inlet is it in easy view or will i need a mirror to see in the inlet turbine to check for blade damage?

what normally dies on the turbo? how often does just the wastegate break?

also would the ecu need to be re-mapped after the new turbo is fitted? if so is there a reason for this? as it would be the same volume of air being pulled through the airflow meter.

SEAN - sorry too hear you had a expensive fail, hope i can find out the damage on this one before i buy it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im not sure how much help this will be but i'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. My best advice would be to stay from the car, I say this because i had a turbo fail recently. Not a single garage would look at the motor, they considered it a write off as engine damage is almost certain in these cases. After 2 months of stripping and rebuilding the car myself it runs fine, im just very lucky little or no internal damage was done, theres just too many things that can go wrong. Getting a turbo for the car has been a problem, i got one rebuilt for £400, and after speaking to a few local garages, they say it defective as i have a high pitch whine in high revs. Now im back to square one. Parts for the car are quite expensive which is fine if its being serviced or something small goes wrong, but when a turbo goes there are so many other parts to buy other than the turbo. Oddly enough im not against owning a 320, im selling mine just because it has been a bad experience and i cant wait to see the back of it, but when it runs its a fun car to drive and i get a credit crunch busting 55mpg. Make sure before you buy the car you go through all the forums you can, and search for similar failures through google. You wont believe what you will see. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers buddy.
ill inspect a well as possible before i buy it. if he ever rings me back so i can go have a look.lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts