BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps. I've spent all morning searching this forum and have failed to find a similar fault to the one this particular car is suffering.

The symptoms are.... car operates as normal under usual driving conditions. However, if you apply full throttle and kick down there is a sudden and dramatic loss of power and the Engine Light comes on.

Switching off the ignition and restarting the car clears the Engine Light and the car is back to normal, until you floor it again.

Favourite possibilities so are are the MAP sensor, and (forgive lack of technical terms) the variable valve timing system which open under certain conditions but then fail to close. The ignition sequence making them close again. I'm going to research the proper name for this and then come back and edit this post lol. :sarcastic

Any advice would be very gratfully received. :thumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I agree. Though getting real time scanning of the codes is troublesome, and the owner of this car has a phobia of shelling out cash for this without trying to resolve himself. He has had the codes read on a few of his cars, so he's not totally against it. Just grates a little lol.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I feel his pain, especially in the pocket :hihi

If he can get the error codes read then post them on the forums I'm sure he'll receive assistance,
some members do have their own scanning equipment perhaps someone local may be able to help out for a few beer tokens? :thumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a good point! He's in Essex and will travel around there for this service! He's a helpful chap himself and rebuilds BMW engines in his spare time. All his recent BMWs have been bought from salvage yards with hydraulic'd motors, other engine or crash damage, which he repairs.

So, there might be a trade in the offing.. an engine rebuild in exchange for codes being read! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts