BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 2002 320d and it recently developed a smoking problem. It started using more oil than usual and puts out blue/grey smoke when first started. It has also started blowing oil out of the dipstick tube with the dipstick removed which i can only assume is from pressure in the sump. It has no loss of power which steers me away from questioning the turbo although im not ruling it out. It has covered 130k but these are motorway miles so i wouldn't expect it to be dying! Has anyone else had these symptoms or similar with their cars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

ibbo_320d SE

·
Registered
432 Posts
It has no loss of power which steers me away from questioning the turbo although im not ruling it out.
Does this mean the car is still in daily use? If so you need to stop right now and get it looked at. Have you seen the price of a new engine for these cars :jaw-dropping

Search>> "320d blown turbo" all that oil that keeps disappearing is going into your intercooler, eventually it will fill up and one blast on the accelarator, over taking etc... will cause the engine to go into a "run away" situation. meaning new engine time and maybe some new underpants for yourself. :hihi

Theres a link somewhere on here from youtube where a bmw X5 does the same thing, dunno where it is though.

Could also just need the breather filter changing, the turbo seals can weep if there is too much back pressure caused by a blocked filter. carrying on driving it though is surely going to pop the turbo if it hasn't already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
many thanks for the advice i have been to bmw and purchased a new breather for the top of the engine as the guy told me it should be changed every 3rd oil change and i suspect it hasn't. Im not sure if the two breathers are linked but i suspect this one needs changing anyway.

Thanks again for the advice and i may be back with more questions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guys thanks for the advice i changed the breather i bought from bmw and it has cured the smoking problems. Turns out i the old 1 may never have been changed judging by the state of it. Just hope it hasn't caused any long term damage. thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.