·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

my car is bugging me a bit,

it runs spot on pulls like a train still
but

when accelerating there a really loud rattle, if i accelerate slowly its still there but the harder i accelerate the louder it is i would describe it as a sticky tappet sound, its cover 163,000 miles and iv covered 600 miles from when i bought it it made the rattle when i bought it both me and my dad just said its a sticky tappet, should ease its self out, just wondered if anyone has come across it before ?

its just annoying me now, im guna change the oil next payday see if it fixes it but just asking for opinions

editt

its got full Dealer BMW service history

edit 2
the CAr
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f82/bennys-e46-2002-320d-se-t68818

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Could be a sticky tappet or could be turbo bearings on there way out I'd get it checked out by mechanic. Any smoke?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a sticky tappet or could be turbo bearings on there way out I'd get it checked out by mechanic. Any smoke?
nope, its had a new turbo, intercooler, inlet mani, cat etc, ect from bmw about 30k ish ago i belive my paperwork is at home,

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
as far as i believe yes they have
hmm maybe the tensioner could do with changing
hope its not a hard job :(

thing it it only rattles when accelerating
its quite as a mouse on idle
That makes sense mate altough im no mechanic.

Surely its easy accessable like a petrol...

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Would this not show in MPG tho?
Probably be using more fuel than usual at higher revs but would reckon anyone suffering with the noise wont keep the revs up there for long :shifty:

Just listened to video, seems inconclusive so would have thought best bet to whip car round to local diesel experts or BMW indy!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a similar annoying rattle on my 1995 E34 525 TDS which got progressively worse, I thought it was my turbo failing as it only happened on acceleration but following advice to check all pipes to and from turbo I felt a current of air below the turbo which turned out to be the pipe for the EGR had cracked behind the clamp where it connects to the exhaust manifold (realoem show it as emission control on your car) maybe worth checking.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
iv put some diesel redex in and done a few miles and its quieted down a bit but i only covered about 10 mile
will see how it gets on

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just to bump this back up.

even after the 4-5K that got spend on new pistons injectors etc its still there and its still really loud :/

the harder i accelerate the louger it gets i cant drive with the windows down its that loud and i get loads of funny looks :shifty:

local few indys have had a listen and they cant work out what it is
either chain rattle or a sticky tappet still.

if you want a better vid i will get one tomora for you

i wanna get this sorted its annoying and doing 200 miles a weekend to and from work i dont want it to die on me

cheers

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm certainly no expert but sounds like the rattle I had from my 320d until dealer said it needed a new vibration damper pulley. Bought one and got it fitted by independent, much quieter now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts