BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please move if in the wrong forum!

150km

Car remapped along with disabling the EGR (electronically). I replaced the oil breather with a vortex, and installed swirl flap blanking plates. Did approx 150 miles, then blew a tyre at slow speeds. Car sat idle for a week whilst I replaced all four wheels. Since, had a loss of boost/power to the point that the car struggles to climb hills below 3500RPM, and cannot get to motorway speeds. Only power is a tight, weak band at 3500-4100 rpm. Probably happened over about 20 miles total.

Turbo spools, but it does not sound normal. MAF and MAP both cleaned, no difference. Some of the vacuum hoses (at least the one going to the EGR) are old and frayed. I can't see the hoses entering the turbo. Engine produces no black smoke, maybe a cough of white when cold and first started but nothing after.

INPA Coding "4530 (1297) Air Charge Control".

Took it to local indy. "Turbo needs replacing as there is too much play in the shaft and so the bearings are shot and it's full of oil along with the feeder pipes and intercooler, also the egr is full of crud. Also vacuum hoses need replacing but they probably aren't the problem."

Turbo may be worn (fine). But that shouldn't stop any boost. Air Charge control usually refers to a problem with the vacuum system or the variable vanes.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also have play in turbo shaft and oil in pipes and i understand that's normal, that oil is not coming from the turbo.

"4530 (1297) Air Charge Control" i think is related to MAP sensor (not 100% sure). Try disconnecting the MAF and check the vacuum to turbo,check pressure regulator also.

·
Registered
989 Posts
There are a few things u can do u can change the pressure convert for the turbo with the one for the egr as there the exact same part it could possibly be that it could be a vac lone some were as a split vac line will stop Turbo actuating properly also map sensor will cause no boost i dropped my map sensor in engine bay when cleaning it one day which dissapered so i drove with out one till the new one got here (day or so) and the turbo did not boost at all my lines have oil in them coming from the breather id try the p.c and map sensor if that dont fix it get a second opinion be for shelling out for a turbo

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Yea, look at vacuum pipes.
The charge air control is linked to the MAP sensor as that is what tells the ECU what boost it is making. If the vac hoses and peaking vacuum and struggling to move the vanes, then you can have turbo problems, and the same if the sensor isn't sending the right info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I started to get the problem, the engine logged an INPA code of 3ec1 - Camshaft Position Sensor.

Would this cause the immense lack of power at all revs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts