BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bmw 320d Touring and the car has been sitting for two weeks, I start up the car once in a while.
This afternoon my wife called and said the car was going crazy, lights were coming on for not reason, she went to the car and opened the car do and said that a clould of smoke came out of the car , it smelled like something was burning. She unplugged the battery lead.
Once I got home plugged the battery in and started the car, car started fine, but now I have no lights, turn signals, brake lights and two of my side lights are on, also I get a message on my radio that says disabled , and computer does not show anything on the instrument cluster. I have checked all the fuses and all seem fine, once I turn the car off , two side lights still say on I have to unplug the battery in order for the lights to go off...........Please help if anyone has had the same problem or something simaliar it would be greatley appreciated if any info could be passed my way. I would hate to have to bring it to the stealers......One last thing , I had the ECU unit replaced less then a year ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECU replaced

The ECU was replaced because the car was only starting when the car was cold if the car was warm it would not start, so the stealers said it had a bad ecu and needed replaced first they said it was the diesal pump which they replaced but that did not fix the problem so then they said it was the ecu , that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Which side lights stay on? (front,rear,left,right?)

Also does it smell like the smoke is from the light switch area?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
First things first, as this is a really quick check:thumbsup

You need to peel back the rubber protective sheathing that goes form the vehicle and into the boot lid.

The wires inside the sheathing can become broken and make contact with other wires causing all kinds of electrical problems. I will admit though I've not heard of this problem causing symptoms that you have described. It is still definitely worth checking though:thumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Major problem

the lights that are on are on are the small side light and the right blinker, no other lights are on, even without the key in the car the lights are still on , I have to unplug the battery. The burnt smell seems like its coming from the dash board somewhere, I have checed the fuse box and it doesn't seem like its coming from there and all fuses are fine. Checked the wires in going to the boot and they are fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts