BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need a catalytic convertor for me 2002 320d (front end bit - first flexi cat of a diesel exhaust) and have been quoted near enough £500 from the dealers...so thought sod that and rang other places and cheapest quote i got is about £170 fitted...however i have seen a used one thats done 40k miles and is in good condition with no damage for £50....should i buy it??

point to remember is the cheapest price i got for supplied and fitted was £170 but that is budget one whereas the better one which equivalent to a genuine one (i think its called bosel) is over £200 supplied and fitted!!

Also the used one is geuine and comes complete with Lambda sensor and fitting it will be about £30 so in total will cost about £80 fitted for a second hand one...is this wise...opinions plz?!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi,

I need a catalytic convertor for me 2002 320d (front end bit - first flexi cat of a diesel exhaust) and have been quoted near enough £500 from the dealers...so thought sod that and rang other places and cheapest quote i got is about £170 fitted...however i have seen a used one thats done 40k miles and is in good condition with no damage for £50....should i buy it??

point to remember is the cheapest price i got for supplied and fitted was £170 but that is budget one whereas the better one which equivalent to a genuine one (i think its called bosel) is over £200 supplied and fitted!!

Also the used one is geuine and comes complete with Lambda sensor and fitting it will be about £30 so in total will cost about £80 fitted for a second hand one...is this wise...opinions plz?!!

Thanks
I take it that the 2nd hand item would be an originla item, if so mate then I would snap that up.............the cheaper after market ones are really not that good mate- they are cheap, do'nt always fit right ans sound tinny aswell as being smaller than the originals.

I would buy the 2nd hand original unit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your views fellas.

i have indeed bought the genuine second hand one getting it fitted in a few days!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just received it today and it lloks in good nick!!

but obvioulsy can say for sure untill i get the garge to put it on!!

fingers crossed there will be no issues as the seller seemed like a good honest seller!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your views fellas.

i have indeed bought the genuine second hand one getting it fitted in a few days!!
Just had it fitted this afternoon... but the mechanic goes that he had some probs fitting it at first but eventually got it on but had nowhere for the lamda sensor to go, which came with the cat!

Any ideas what a lamda sensor does and if it was for a pre or post facelift saloon / estate models as he had to cut it off!!?

its all fitted now and must admit i can feel the difference straight away as the response is that little bit better and ride is more smoother!!

the mechanic goes your old cat was pretty f***ed as not only was it falling apart but also blowing. which i assume had a major impact on its drivability!!
it feels as if the car has gone a few bhp quicker, bit like a mini remap!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts