BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya guys im new to the forums. Ive have an e46 320ci for 2 years now and still love it to bits, a great upgrade from my old fiesta lol. My car is aproaching the 88,000 mile mark and i wanna change the diff and gearbox oil, ive searched the forums but couldnt find the info (maybe i was being blind) and was wondering if someone would be kind enough to share the info. Ive had my car up on a ramp at work and couldnt see a sticker on the gearbox that some have. Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Do you have an owners manual/handbook? If so your oil requirements will be listed in that. Alternatively, just go direct to BMW and get it done, the cost should not be too excessive.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i checked the handbook it only mentions engine oil guess ill have to give bmw a ring, thx anyway

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
yeah i checked the handbook it only mentions engine oil guess ill have to give bmw a ring, thx anyway

Try this link mate:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-f...EName=oil-service-pack-recommendation#results

give them a call, they will advise you on the grade and spec that BMW recommend for your car.

Personally I would not buy from the BMW stealers, only a few of our customers insist on them buying the lubricants themselves from BMW and bringing them in to us and they end up paying alot more.........for instance:

we had a customer with a 2001 330 sport, he insisted on getting the oil from BMW himself, the stealer he went to was the clowns from Sytner in HWycombe (dealt with these guy's on numerous occasions, they really are complete planks, especially the TITT/'s at the parts desk. they charged him £120 for 8 litres of the "BMW Synthetic Oil"--------turns out it was Mobil 1 0w/40, apparently the Mobil 1 brand is what Sytner use across the whole board, even when BMW recommend Castrol.

We personal would have used a 5w/30 Castrol, 8 litres would have cost around 60 squids-half of what the customer paid for his "BMW OIL".

Also he paid 30 quid for Mobil diff oil, can't remember how many litres though
, just enough for a complete change...the same diff oil and quantity we could have got for half on trade.

Personally, IMO..............don't get lubricants from main stealer

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Should be OK to source the oil elsewhere once you know what grade oil is required.

May be Ronnie knows off the top of his head? Will wait for him to catch up with this post when he comes on.

But its best to be aware that some cars (your BMW should be Ok with regards to this), have very very strict gear oil requirements only available from the dealer, so best to double check before hand.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx for the help. I got our parts department at work to phone the local bmw dealer and they said the gearbox should take mtf lt2 but with regards to the diff they said non slip limited diff oil, any ideas what grade that is? or is it a bmw only type oil. With regards to the bmw only oil, when i did my first serive on it bmw wanted 120 notes for 8 litres of castrol edge 0w30:jaw-dropping ended up getting 8 litres of the same stuff from halfords with a trade card for 64 notes lol

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just a heads up really ordered diff and gearbox oil from http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ worked out about 20 notes cheaper than dealer including postage. Oil came VERY well packaged ( my dog thought all the pollestrine bits would make a nice mess on the floor:D)and took 3 days to deliver. Would recommend them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts