BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Hi people,

I have uploaded a YouTube video for you to all see and hear the problem I am having when starting my BMW Cold. Normally happens first thing in the morning when been sat Idle for a few hours.

Any help would be good!

YouTube link:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1eho0aRKBk0
Hi Jurassic

Can you be more specific.

Does it not happen when the engine is warm and you restart?

That noise to me sounds like an ancilliary item.

Possibly a drivebelt or bearing on a pulley.

Get a fine mist water spray (like you would use on plants) and spray a fine mist on each of the drive belts.

Alternator.
Power steering
Air Con? (Im guessing it has aircon?)

Try and start and see if the noise is there or not.

Further to that, you would need to remove each drive belt in turn and start the engine.
if the noise is not present, you have found the source of the problem.

Some other checks I would suggest just to be sure are:

Check your oil level

Get the fault codes read from the cars ecu (see the sticky thread at the top of the forum on how to do this)

hth

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Yeah it only happens on a cold startup. 99% of the time it makes this noise first thing in the morning.

After the car has been parked up at work all day and I jump in it does not normally make that noise.

The first noise it started to make is like a "rattling" noise (like a spanner was loose in the engine compartment). Then this noise just appeared overnight. I dont know if its additional to the rattling noise that once appeared, but i dont very often hear the rattle noise anymore (i.e. the problem has got worse and now this is the noise it makes).

The car has aircon so ill give that a go? Why would spraying water on these belts get rid of this noise? Just curious?

I Must admit I thought it was a dogee starter motor sticking or something.

Also - it has just been serviced and has done 67000 miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
It does sound like starter motor, try removing it and cleaning up the Bendix and lubricating the bearing on the end of the starter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,

Thanks to all who have replied and I will go to my local garage and get him to sort it.

Is it a big job at all?

Cheers

Jase

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.