BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I have owned my 2002 318i with 75k on the clock for a few months now with no problems, but a few days ago i was driving along and with no warning the engine started to run rough and lost a lot of power.
I managed to limp it home (about 1/4 mile luckily) and began to inspect it.
It is idling between 700-750 rpm (hunting)
If i rev the engine it sounds very throaty (as if it has a K&N fitted)
I have put it on a OBD2 reader and got codes P0011, P0015 and P0366.

So far I have checked:
Coil packs and plugs and connections. (easy place to start)
Replaced camshaft position sensors. (reset codes and they come straight back)
Removed and checked Valvetronic Solenoids.
Checked all connections on breathers.
Removed intake manifold and checked for leaks.
Checked oil seperator.
Have flushed it with forte flush and changed oil and filter. (5w-30 Fully Synthetic millers longlife)
None seem to have made much difference.

Has anybody got any ideas as i am stating to run out of ideas and my wife keeps on asking if i have fixed it yet!!! :mad
I would be very gratefull for any information.
Thanks
Gareth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying so quickly... will have a look into it, does seem like a common fault.

Just a bit of further information is that when you start it from cold (open loop) it idles higher and a lot smoother almost as if there no problem.
Seems like the n42 is a bit of Pain in the a%*e engine. Wish i bought a 6cyl
now, just couldnt afford the extra fuel!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
1,192 Posts
It is a PITA engine! Slightest little thing wrong and it spits its dummy out.
Did you use genuine bmw camshaft sensors when you replaced them?
I know the cheapo ones can cause problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ye sounds like it.
The sensors are not genuine but they are made vemo (made in germany) supplied by german sweedish. I know not to use the cheap plastic casings with a plug on them (like the type you find on ebay).
I did notice for a while before the problem started that sometimes the engine was a bit hesitant at low revs, but once you were off it pulled like a train.
Thinking about it when the problem started there was a slight burning smell, but no visible smoke?
I do all my own repairs and servicing on my cars and have never had to put a car into a garage to be fixed.... and i'm not about to start now....... i hope!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounding more and more like a jumped chain. Going to remove the rocker and have a butchers i think....... once its stopped raining that is!!! desperatly need my own workshop!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

+1

Try not to drive it, get a BMW indy to have a look. Does sounds like jumped timing..
Thanks to everyone who got back to me with ideas of what was going on...... it was jumped timing!
It had jumped two teeth on inlet cam. Had it in bits today re-timed it fitted a new tensioner and now sounds sweet as a nut! Top guide was still in one piece and in good condition so that was a bonus. :thumbsup
Polybushed the front end aswell. Only brake lights that dont want to go off and handbrake shoes to fit tomorrow.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
As mentioned already cheers for the update and glad to hear it's running sweet again, :thumbsup

I will add a (FIXED) to the title. :)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Thanks to everyone who got back to me with ideas of what was going on...... it was jumped timing!
It had jumped two teeth on inlet cam. Had it in bits today re-timed it fitted a new tensioner and now sounds sweet as a nut! Top guide was still in one piece and in good condition so that was a bonus. :thumbsup
Polybushed the front end aswell. Only brake lights that dont want to go off and handbrake shoes to fit tomorrow.
Result :D
Did you do the work yourself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi

Hi. Well it was me, a good mate and autodata.
The worst job was getting the inlet manifold back on after changing the oil seperator. (Thought i would change it as the diaphragm was on the way out)

Never taken any of my cars to a garage yet and want to keep it that way!

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK.... mind is now made up - going to buy the timing kit to reset the timing myself, in case mine also (which has the same symptoms) has jumped a tooth or two.

Anyone have a current link to where I can get the tool cheap? I am going to buy the tool, reset my timing, change the chain guide and then resell the tool on to someone else who needs it.

Hopefully I will be able to film the change out and adjustments, and pop it up on YouTube like I did for the CCV changeout.

Thanks guys
Jonny

1 - 16 of 16 Posts