BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my N42 engine rebuilt and fitted following timing chain guide failure. There are fumes inside the car that smell like burning oil. I dont think its exhaust fumes, it smells a little like wet paint. I thought it might be just engine oil from the fitting just burning off but it seems to be getting worse. Under the bonnet there doesnt seem to be anything obviously wrong and there isnt the same strong smell there. The fumes build up when the car is idling at a standstill.

Any thoughts - a loose breather pipe?
TIA

·
Registered
513 Posts
i had same problem with my n42 after rebuild it was oil dripping from the airpump at the back of the engine it was dripping down and on the exghust i first notiched the smell and then first thing in the morning after it had been stood all night i started it with bonnent up and notiched a load of smoke from that area see video

YouTube - e46 n42 bmw engine noise and smoke

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem on my old 328, tuned out it was the rocker cover gasket, right at the back corner of the rocker cover there was a slight drip of oil dripping right on to the manifold causing puffs of smoke out the exhaust and sometimes fumes in the cabin and a really bad smell, id check round rocker cover for any slight leaks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked under the bonnet - there doesn't seem to be any leaks although it's hard to tell at the back and underneath. Strange thing is, there is no smoke or even a bad smell around the engine, its only when you sit inside it really hits you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts