BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when its on idel it ticks when the revs go up theres ticking when the revs go down no ticking when foot of the pedal when i rev it

·
Registered
506 Posts
Doubtful it's the valvetronic then. Is it worse when the engine is cold/does it disappear when the engine is hot?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its defo doing them miles it was at 1/4 full went petrol station put £30 in went to 1/2 full reset clock done 140 miles and its 1/4 full again i drive 15 miles a day to work nice and steady 40/50 mph and on cruise control and its a long run not round town

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's impossible to tell from the video but from what you've said;
It is'nt the valvetronic which can rattle when idling but usually disappears when under load.
29-30mpg is'nt bad for a 318, especially an auto.
I asked about hot and cold because cracks in the manifold can close up with heat but this of course depends on the size of the crack. Its looking like this is the area you should get checked.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
had it done in october and nothing but hasle since with engine managment lights coming on hes had it back loads of times to try and repair it but failed and i was just throwing more cash at it

new realy £25
new plugs £65
new oil filler cap £15

and now hes saying its the throotle sensor and wants £200 for that so thought id do it myself and on inspection ive found proper doggy work eg throttle pipe to airbox split and repaired with duck tape oil breather pod damaged and repaired with cable ties vacum pump leaking repaired with sealent

and still got eml andd emmision lights coming on randomly i asked him to look at the tapping and he said it could be the hydalic lifters but thats the age of the car ????

2002 132000 miles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts