BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I bought my '02 318ci a couple of weeks back, and must admit I'm loving it so far!

Quick question though - the door handles on the outside of the car are extreme stiff to operate - you really need to pull them hard. Feels like something needs lubricating. Is this a common problem that can be easily sorted? This morning it almost felt like I wouldn't be able to open the door at all.

cheers,

Nik

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does the door latching mechanism stick as well? There is an adjustment screw for that problem, otherwise use some lithium/silicone grease to lube the door handles like I did. Don't use WD40 or machine oil, as that will make it worse.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
The coupes have a real strange handle where you have to pull up as well as out. Took my lad about 2 years to master it, he literally could not do it when I first had the car (he was 6 at the time). The dealer told me 'they are all like that sir'

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the replies. I'll lift the handle and get some lube in there. Strangely, they both seem better today!

Nik

·
Registered
185 Posts
The coupes have a real strange handle where you have to pull up as well as out. Took my lad about 2 years to master it, he literally could not do it when I first had the car (he was 6 at the time). The dealer told me 'they are all like that sir'
My '01 pre facelift saloon seems to have the lift up way of opening too, my doors are a little hard to open and rear driver side is very hard to open, i will try the silcone spray and see if it does the trick.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Eventually the handles get that bad you have to really yank them and they only open when fully pulled out, you can bend a piece of metal to make them open sooner if you are going the cheap way, :hihi

·
Registered
206 Posts
Check out youtube for a video on how to sort this problem, know mine were very stiff but a torque alan key and a little tighten up sorted the problem. Mine are not the up and out handles but suspect its the same mechanisim.

Try this link out, its not me BYTW!

Although i wish had his car....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1hT9E-BQOJk

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's how to fix the latching mechanism I was talking about earlier :thumbsup. And that's DocMatt....:shifty:...I know him :hihi. He is a mod on a rival forum :shifty:...and he is really big into car modding :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.