BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 318i SE (143 bhp), and after (foolishly) redlining it in the first four gears I have noticed vibration and and a clunking noise. Both things are intermittent although I know something is wrong, I can feel strong vibration through the clutch pedal and also the gear stick and if I drive continuously above 3000 rpm I can hear a loud 'brrrr' from the diff at the back.
Any ideas guys, I'm dreading spending a massive amount of money.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
taking the car to the redline in the gears shouldn't really affect it, its when you leave them to bounce on the redline for ages that does the damage. (in future rememebr to change up a few hundred rpm before the redline as the power dies off if you get to the redline!).

What is your clutch operation like? any judders, is there a clunk/thud when you engage 1st from standstill? any clutch burning smells?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The strong vibration through the clutch pedal is down to the release bearing. Do you get clutch chatter? The 'whir' at the diff could be the prop shaft.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have noticed that the steering also shakes a bit when I turn left, and the whole car shakes slightly when I'm doing 40mph. I can sometimes hear a clunking/thud noise from the rear when I put the car into 1st or 2nd.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would that account for the vibration and grating sound, although it is intermittent. If I drive conservatively it isn't noticeable. How much would it cost to rectify if its the propshaft bearing or bush

·
Banned
478 Posts
Would that account for the vibration and grating sound, although it is intermittent. If I drive conservatively it isn't noticeable. How much would it cost to rectify if its the propshaft bearing or bush
As NealP says....

ive just spent £200 getting my prop sorted and it sounds like thats what you problem is.... There is a good chance you've split your propshaft rubber coupling or guibo. Get it inspected to be sure. But thats what my moneys on...

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If the clutch vibrates at idle when the pedal is down and you are stationary then it could be the clutch release bearing OR the dual mass flywheel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sometimes notice a vibration in the clutch pedal when it is pressed down, but it feels as though something is hitting something else in the clutch or gearing system and I can feel it in the gearstick too, its like something is knocking inside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there Bal.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Sounds very similar to the problem I'm experiencing at the moment.

One garage suggested this might be my prop shaft center bearing.

Interested to know what you found.

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts