BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2002 E46 318i - Clutch change

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  xfmguitaridol 
#1 ·
Morning chaps (and ladies of course ;)). Have a 2002 E46 318i which has just shy of 100K on the clock and to my knowledge has never had a clutch change. I'm therefore thinking about attempting this myself.

I am a fairly experienced amateur mechanic so not massively daunted by this task however have no idea how involved the job actually is. Anyone done this one?

#3 ·
Why change it. Just leave it till it starts slipping. Quite possibly your car spent all its life on the motorway and the clutch still has another 100K miles in it.

It is quite involved and a big job to change it, so don't bother till it actually needs doing.

#4 ·
Yeah i think you're right John. i would say that probably of the 100K miles at least 70K are motorway miles and the clutch itself doesn't feel bad or anything. Obviously the biting point isn't where it used to be but it isn't slipping and there is no noticeable change in performance.

Well I'm in no hurry to commit myself to something really involved so I'll take your advice and leave it as long as possible.

But cheers for the link. I shall remember that when I do eventually get stuck in.....watch this space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.