BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks

My CAT sounds like it's on it's last legs, the car just passed it's MOT so the emmissions are OK. The rattling is getting a bit annoying though, plus I'm worried about bits of the CAT making thier way down the pipe.

Got a quote from National Tyre for about £430 to replace the front section of exhaust that contains the CAT. This seems to be the same page as the guy in there looked at.
http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/page...=318&body=saloon&cartype=2.0&fuel=B&year=2002

Anyone know where I could get one a bit cheaper ?

·
Banned
344 Posts
Hey Folks

My CAT sounds like it's on it's last legs, the car just passed it's MOT so the emmissions are OK. The rattling is getting a bit annoying though, plus I'm worried about bits of the CAT making thier way down the pipe.

Got a quote from National Tyre for about £430 to replace the front section of exhaust that contains the CAT. This seems to be the same page as the guy in there looked at.
http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/page...=318&body=saloon&cartype=2.0&fuel=B&year=2002

Anyone know where I could get one a bit cheaper ?

You sure the heat sheild is not rattling??

if you want a replacement aftermarket Cat then ECP is your best bet.......from memory- a cat for your vehicle should be around £150.

Be warned though, after market non OEM cats are not great- they never fit 100%, are a little tinny sounding but for the money you pay for them and since its not going on a performance car- you can't complain- they do the job.
We have fitted many of them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Heat Shield?

Yeh it could be your heat shield. I had the same problem on my 328, all it needed was a small washing wedging between the shield and the exhaust and hey presto it stopped rattling and is sold as a rock.

:thumbsup

·
Banned
478 Posts
Check the mounts aswell, If these have weakened the exhaust might be able to move slightly more than normal, and rattling against the chassis or body. Some garages will show you the fault if you ask, and i encourage this. A faulty CAT at that age is unlikely, unless your car has'nt been running properly in the first place. :thumbsup

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys

I have been told it's the CAT by 2 different mechanics, not sure if it's been damaged in a previous life but the car runs like a dream at the minute, just the noise thats annoying.

I'll try and get a better look myself when the snow goes away !

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Thanks Guys

I have been told it's the CAT by 2 different mechanics, not sure if it's been damaged in a previous life but the car runs like a dream at the minute, just the noise thats annoying.

I'll try and get a better look myself when the snow goes away !
If the Cat is rattling then you should find out why it has gone like this, it's rare for a Cat to just "go"

Usually it's "outside" damage, i.e parked in a deep puddle which contracts the warm outer shell, crushing the Cat monolith. Or Lambda sensor or Cam sensor faulty causing over fuelling and over heating of the monolith.

I would advise a fault scan of the DME codes and also get them to monitor how quickly the lambda sensor is reacting in the Live data on the scanner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts