BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Just joined the forum, having bought a 318ci SE '02 model on a 51 plate. Seems to be a great car, nice and clean and tidy. Just a few quick questions;

When i start the car the rear de-mister comes on automatically, the display screen defaults to the outside temperature, and all three blower functions are enabled - does this happen automatically if it's cold outside? Can I change any of these defaults?

Also, the car is fitted with one of those quaint little cassette player things. Remember them?! I've spent the last few days doing searches regarding an aux input for my iPhone 3g, and it seems like a bit of minefield... so apologies to all if I'm going over old ground, but it would be nice to get a definitive answer.

I don't especially want to replace the std head unit, and I'm happy to control the music input on the iPhone itself. I'd just like to be able to plug it in to a 3.5mm lead. In other words I don't want an add-on box interface. Ideally just an aux lead which plugs in to the std head unit. Is there anything available?

Once again, apologies for going over old ground again!

Nik

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. Should have mentioned, I don't want to go down the tape or transmitter route, I'd really prefer to have an aux lead to plug in to the headphone socket on the iPhone. Appreciate your reply though!

Nik

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the head unit doesnt have any input socket then you obviously cant plug it in - you can only use the tape or transmitter.

I have never seen one with a rear line-in socket either so I dont think what you want to do is even possible mate. You would have to do the first suggestion or buy a new head unit that does have an input socket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Presumably the head unit would be capable of having a CD changer added (it's the std Business radio/cassette)? In which case, I'm wondering if I can plug something in there, instead of a CG changer.

Thanks for all the replies gents.

Nik

·
Registered
25 Posts
changer control sockets are usually multi-pin DIN types and you would need a special lead that allowed use of the line-in while fooling the head unit into thinking that a changer was actually connected so it would go into that mode, otherwise it will only accept internal input from the radio or tape head.

Mine for instance is a 6cd slot unit that can have a seperate changer added, but will not stay on changer mode when there isnt one detected and switches immediately onto radio or internal cd.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello and welcome Nik :)
When i start the car the rear de-mister comes on automatically, the display screen defaults to the outside temperature, and all three blower functions are enabled - does this happen automatically if it's cold outside? Can I change any of these defaults?
These functions are probably coded to your key memory, but any approved independent or dealer will help you with re-programming.
Do a search for AUX connector on the forum and I'm sure you will find a solution :thumbsup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
changer control sockets are usually multi-pin DIN types and you would need a special lead that allowed use of the line-in while fooling the head unit into thinking that a changer was actually connected so it would go into that mode, otherwise it will only accept internal input from the radio or tape head.

Mine for instance is a 6cd slot unit that can have a seperate changer added, but will not stay on changer mode when there isnt one detected and switches immediately onto radio or internal cd.
Thanks for that. I'll go and speak to my local car audio place and see what they recommend. Sounds like a replacement head unit might work out to be a simpler option after all, but you never know.

Nik

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.