BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
My first post here on what looks like a really good BMW forum so fingers crossed you might be able to help !!

I got my 2002 318 Touring about 4 months ago with 50K miles and on the whole it's fine. I got it from a BMW dealer and as such it comes with a warrenty.

It's my first BMW and compared to the dozens of company cars I've had over the years (which means it's also the first car I've bought my my own money since I was about 18), it's bang on........but I do want an M3 !

However, since I've had it I've noticed an intermittent and slight misfire when on full throttle and under load (say pulling up a hill). Furthermore, I wouldn't describe the engine as the most responsive or crispy 2 litre engine I've ever experienced. My wife has an 80K miles 2 litre Renault Scenic and it's way crisper than my BMW.

I brought it back to the dealer soon after I bought it and they say they replaced the coil pack which didn't make much of a difference. The dealer has been really good and as helpfull as they can be given that of course when I brought the car back to them, the misfire didn't occur and there was no message in the cars memory.

It's going in for it's "big" inspection service tomorrow so I'm kind of half hoping a thorough service will smooth things out and I'll be picking up my car with a nice smooth crisp engine response........but I do know in the pit of my stomach this is unlikley !

Any ideas ? Will a change of spark plugs, oil and all the other stuff their going to do tomorrow cure it ? or are there other forces at work ?

Having a slower car than my wife's Scenic that's been to the moon and back is killing me !!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
When you take the car in tell them of the problem and they should read the diagnostic trouble codes, if it's in for a big service then the codes should be read anyway but if you tell them of the problem they will look into some other areas for the fault.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.