BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I bought my car about 6 months ago - my first beemer! :thumbsup - previously I had an MG and the head gasket went on it amongst many other things, so I wanted something more reliable and thought BMW would be a good bet. Within a couple of weeks the amber oil light came on, so, I topped up the oil. Since then it has been using around a litre of oil every 1500 miles, I also noticed a slight oil leak on my driveway.

Anyway, today, there is more oil on my driveway accompanied by a brown sludge, so I'm wondering if the head gasket has gone in this one too......:frown

I've done the basic checks - the radiator water is fine - no gunk in it, and its not losing coolant, and I've checked under the oil filler cap which is also clear with no gunk under it. Had no smoke or loss of power either.....

I'm gonna get it to a garage asap but was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on what might be happening?

Thanks,

Emma

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
prolly the oil filter housing leaking its a common fault or the rocker top profile gasket.....

i doubt its head gasket at all...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
:lol what the man said - on my wifes 318i it was the oil filter housing leaking

Reactions: ejmilne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I guess I'm a bit jumpy after my last car having so many problems! Gonna take it to the menders tomorrow. Bigbenstrikes - I do about 250 miles a week, work is a 50 mile round trip so, no, dont do short trips really......I spend half my pay in Halfords buying oil!! (She's worth it tho :))
Thanks again all xx

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Thanks guys, I guess I'm a bit jumpy after my last car having so many problems! Gonna take it to the menders tomorrow. Bigbenstrikes - I do about 250 miles a week, work is a 50 mile round trip so, no, dont do short trips really......I spend half my pay in Halfords buying oil!! (She's worth it tho :))
Thanks again all xx
oil can be had way cheaper than halfords..

morrisons and tesco do 1 litre top up bottles of castrol edge way cheaper..

·
Registered
600 Posts
i doubt the head has gone but this topic has been covered before on the 316ti compact do a search and you might find the answer to your problem :thumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did do a search honest!! Ta for the tip on oil dailydoggy, you were spot on by the way, the garage says its a rocker top gasket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts