BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
firstly hi just joined the forum

am currently looking at buying a 316ti se 2002 form abbey cars in dunfermline
2 owners from new 42k 4600 now heres the thing when i went to see the car the dealer could not find the service history but told me all beemers are on a database and could get me the service history if not the book then a print out of the cars history is this right?

secondly when i started the car up from cold engine sounded sweet let it heat up seemed fine if i reved it slowly was fine however if i bliped the throttle it missfired then reved fine

also noticed i slight bit of what i thought was steam but smelled like burning oil looked like oil was leaking onto the exhaust manifold but could not see where from

i have paid for the aa to do an inspection to be carried out on the car this is happening tomorrow

just wondering if you guys could help

thanks
kris

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If it was serviced at a main dealers from new it may be on a data base but otherwise no.

Could you see if the cam cover gasket was leaking? I would also be dubious if it does indeed misfire when revved quickly

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was serviced at a main dealers from new it may be on a data base but otherwise no.

Could you see if the cam cover gasket was leaking? I would also be dubious if it does indeed misfire when revved quickly
could not see if the cam cover was leaking could only see part of it not all the dealer said it came as a trade in and the car had been serviced at parks bmw he showed me the log book its had 2 owners but they both stayed at the same adress however no old mots witch i find strange i have told him i will not take the car if it does not have history he has promised me i will have the history guess all just have to wait and see what the aa say somthing just dosent feel right

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right got a phone call from the aa inspection guy last night he never picked up on a missfire he did however say the car felt slightly under powerd that there was a chip on the windscreen there was a little surface rust on the exhaust and the brake discs were fine but looked a bit worn oh and the coolant level was a little low but he did say all in all it looked and drove like a 40k car i asked him about the missfire he said they put fuel in the car when he road tested it but when i road tested it the fuel light was on he said it was mabey old fuel that was in the car coupled to the fact that it was low as well oh yea and there was evidence of water in the break fluid

what do you think i shoul aske the dealer to fix these problem before i buy ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes there is a months warranty with the car have spoke to the dealer he has agreed to change the brake fluid and investigate and do a pressure test on the coolant system and is gonna give me proof of this he has also sent away to bmw for a replacement service book and has traced the garage down that serviced the car as the first service was the only one done by a bmw dealer they have agreed to stamp the book it had its last service at 40k and has done 42k

not sure what a months warranty covers on the car

all in all things are looking good so far i think

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
yes there is a months warranty with the car have spoke to the dealer he has agreed to change the brake fluid and investigate and do a pressure test on the coolant system and is gonna give me proof of this he has also sent away to bmw for a replacement service book and has traced the garage down that serviced the car as the first service was the only one done by a bmw dealer they have agreed to stamp the book it had its last service at 40k and has done 42k

not sure what a months warranty covers on the car

all in all things are looking good so far i think
A months warranty is poor, you are spending £4200, I also think it's dodgy that a car with so low mileage has the service book lost :shifty:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yup but surely if the book can be replaced and the milage is verified and is correct and the book is all stamped up and correct i agree a months warranty is poor i have hpi report have aa inspection report judging by these i cant see it being clocked

this is the first car i have bought over a grand and am very sceptical

what warranty would you expect?

why do u think its dodgy that the service book has been lost ?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
yup but surely if the book can be replaced and the milage is verified and is correct and the book is all stamped up and correct i agree a months warranty is poor i have hpi report have aa inspection report judging by these i cant see it being clocked

this is the first car i have bought over a grand and am very sceptical

what warranty would you expect?

why do u think its dodgy that the service book has been lost ?
I like to be sceptical when buying cars, :hihi, I just find it strange that a car with low mileage for the year and only 2 owners is missing the service book :confused, you would think the previous owners would want to get the best buck when they came to sell so would ensure it was serviced regularly and the book was up to date

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
suppose you are right but i guess it does happen its probably why it was easy for the dealer to trace back the service history and get it restamped because it was low milage and did only have 2 owners that both stay at the same address father and son so the dealer tells me

think i might give them a phone tomorrow and see what they can tell me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts