BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi am starting to pull my hair out with this car had it about 3 weeks its been up to bmw who replaced all four coild packs and 2 sparkplugs and also the intake pipe after all this ran ok for a week

now when the car is cold it misfires and somtimes from cold the car will not start have to put my foot to the floor and eventuly it starts if i am in 5th gear at low revs and put my foot to the floor car misfires judders then finaly takes off

i have read the codes with my peake tool and am getting

274e= misfire checksum failure
2742=misfire detection cyl 1

also to note the car was having these faults since last week and there was not fault codes but there is today as after trying to start the car for five minutes then it finaly started out of temper i kicked the sh*t out of it driving to work

now i dont want to go back to bmw and pay main dealer prices because clearly they have not fixed the problem

any help what do you sudggest am getting sick of this car really fast

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just off the phone to motortechnick in kircaldy local bm garage taking the car up to them at 10am tomorrow the guy reckons from what i have told him on the phone that the timing chain has jumped a tooth says its very common on this type of engine

who knows guess all see what he makes of the car tomorrow

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right took it up to motortecknik he pluged in the diagnostic swaped coil packs cleared the fault codes still a missfire under load not showing any fault codes typical he told me its either one of the 2 valves that are behind the camshaft sensors or the timing has jumped a tooth but he said would need more time on the car gr8 anyone know about these 2 valves he is talking about ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks m8 pulling my hair out with the thing i had an old 93 2.0 merc 190 begining to think i should have kept that lol have phoned grassicks bmw in perth who done all the work to the car it is going back up there next saterday

i have done timing chains and head gaskets on other cars but this valvetronic engine i aint touching it until i learn a wee bit more about it

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update took the car up to grassiks bmw they put the car on the diagnostic found some hose that was clogged up i thought gr8 ok went out to the car still the missfire under load took it back took the guy a run in it he put it back on the diagnostic he is now saying that the head is gonna have to come off

seemingly worn lifters on an engine with 43k full service history surely not

then it wouldnt start he said that may be due to lack of compresion ok well why not do a compresion test on the thing then not happy this is a bmw main dealer and i dont really think they know what is wrong with the car

the guy did try to be helpful but came away none the wiser

thing is this is the same fault since i bought the car but they have changed four coil packs an intake hose and its still not fixed same faults as always

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
update took the car up to grassiks bmw they put the car on the diagnostic found some hose that was clogged up i thought gr8 ok went out to the car still the missfire under load took it back took the guy a run in it he put it back on the diagnostic he is now saying that the head is gonna have to come off

seemingly worn lifters on an engine with 43k full service history surely not

then it wouldnt start he said that may be due to lack of compresion ok well why not do a compresion test on the thing then not happy this is a bmw main dealer and i dont really think they know what is wrong with the car

the guy did try to be helpful but came away none the wiser

thing is this is the same fault since i bought the car but they have changed four coil packs an intake hose and its still not fixed same faults as always
It should rattle if the lifters are worn?

And did you ask them why they hadn't compression tested the car?

Also do you know if the live running data was viewed? :confused

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no did not ask them if the live running data was viewed have got on to the place i bought the car from they have in turn phoned grassiks

grassiks said the car was ok when it left (rubbish) after many phone calls the car has to go back up to grassiks and is to be left there for a few days

also when i start the car from cold the car takes ages to start have to put my foot to the floor and after ages of turning over it starts to catch then starts however when i drive away if i change to second gear at low revs then put my foot to the floor the car missfires terribly massive lack of power ecu light comes on stays on and then the car missfires on 3 cylinders till i plug in my peak tool and reset the codes the 2 codes are the misfire checksum failure and misfire in cylinder number 4 it only does this when cold and if i am very light on the acelerator pedal the car drives normaly and does not show any fault codes but still has a slight misfire between 1k and 2 thousand rpm

i have a sneaky suspision the timing chain has jumped a tooth but it goes up to grassiks on monday hopefuly all will be well i am gonna take a video on my phone to show grassiks the car starting in the morning from cold

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi.. have you solved your problem? I have exactly the same problem on my N42 engine (same as yours) and I believe the problem is related to the Solenoid Valves. They have been discontinued and replaced by new valves, and I read in another thread that it solved the problem!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Right.. I'm sure the N series engine owners know that by know... Nothing new to me. Yes, engine swap is not worth the investment, so buying another car would be.. Expensive.

Do you have any other observation you can make, this time related to the issue described in this thread?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cured!

Hi, I joined this problem to try and track down exactly the same problem on a 2003 E46 318. The car came in running rough with the errors:
274E Misfire Detection Summation Error
2742 Misfire Detection in 1st Ignition Order

After swapping out the coil packs, plugs, injectors and checking the wiring we kept getting back to the same problems listed on our scanner, to the point where we'd compression checked the vehicle and were about to pull the timing chain to see if we had jumped a tooth. Every time we got the problem listed as 2742 regardless of what we swapped around. To cut a long story short, the problem turned out to be the coil pack on cylinder 3 breaking down. Using modern scanning software the 2742 code leads you to believe the problem is on cylinder 1. We traced it in the end using a simple set of pencil lights between the coils and the plugs (really pleased that £3000 worth of diagnostic equipment couldn't spot what a £10 set of lights did!).

I don't know the reason why 2742 is the first code to be pulled up (I have theories but no hard evidence) but it's all too easy to put your faith in hi-tech equipment and overlook the simplest of tools.

I hope this helps some of you out there as there seem to be quite a few people posting with the same issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, I joined this problem to try and track down exactly the same problem on a 2003 E46 318. The car came in running rough with the errors:
274E Misfire Detection Summation Error
2742 Misfire Detection in 1st Ignition Order

After swapping out the coil packs, plugs, injectors and checking the wiring we kept getting back to the same problems listed on our scanner, to the point where we'd compression checked the vehicle and were about to pull the timing chain to see if we had jumped a tooth. Every time we got the problem listed as 2742 regardless of what we swapped around. To cut a long story short, the problem turned out to be the coil pack on cylinder 3 breaking down. Using modern scanning software the 2742 code leads you to believe the problem is on cylinder 1. We traced it in the end using a simple set of pencil lights between the coils and the plugs (really pleased that £3000 worth of diagnostic equipment couldn't spot what a £10 set of lights did!).

I don't know the reason why 2742 is the first code to be pulled up (I have theories but no hard evidence) but it's all too easy to put your faith in hi-tech equipment and overlook the simplest of tools.

I hope this helps some of you out there as there seem to be quite a few people posting with the same issue.

so what problem was? is it coil or coil plug?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 318i UK N42 Engine with the same codes: 2742 and 274e
My Engine light stays on so the misfire is constant. The car is in a limp mode.

I changed the Camshaft position sensors and no change.
Tomorrow I will change all 4 of the coils and plugs.

Screenshot from INPA. Mine is in Deutsch.
Google translate says Misfire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.