BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2002 316i Compact and have recently found that while driving the battery light will come on and the engine will cut out, this only happens when driving and so far it's not happened when braking or coming to a stop. The car turns back on again straight away when I turn the engine on so I can keep driving and it might not happen again for a few days.

I've previously been told (about a year ago) that my alternator is "lazy" but that because it was still performing they didn't advise changing it because of the cost so this time I took it to another garage and they tested the alternator and found it to be running fine. The mechanic thought that it might be an intermittent fault with it so we decided to go ahead and get a new alternator fitted. This was last week and this morning while stuck in a traffic jam the battery light came on twice and the engine cut out each time.

I was pretty much tearing my hair out because apart from the alternator no one seems to have any idea what the problem could be!

Separately, I have also had problems with dashboard warning lights coming on at random times, it is always the handbrake, traction control and abs lights and they all come on at the same time for a few seconds. While they are on my wipers are very slow, the lights for the radio etc are dim/go off and my headlights dim. I was just wondering if the two things could be related?

Sorry for such a long post! I'm grateful for all help or advice anyone can give!

I also had diagnostics run on the car so I have a print out of the fault codes if they would be of any use!

Thanks,

Alison

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2002 316i Compact and have recently found that while driving the battery light will come on and the engine will cut out, this only happens when driving and so far it's not happened when braking or coming to a stop. The car turns back on again straight away when I turn the engine on so I can keep driving and it might not happen again for a few days.

I've previously been told (about a year ago) that my alternator is "lazy" but that because it was still performing they didn't advise changing it because of the cost so this time I took it to another garage and they tested the alternator and found it to be running fine. The mechanic thought that it might be an intermittent fault with it so we decided to go ahead and get a new alternator fitted. This was last week and this morning while stuck in a traffic jam the battery light came on twice and the engine cut out each time.

I was pretty much tearing my hair out because apart from the alternator no one seems to have any idea what the problem could be!

Separately, I have also had problems with dashboard warning lights coming on at random times, it is always the handbrake, traction control and abs lights and they all come on at the same time for a few seconds. While they are on my wipers are very slow, the lights for the radio etc are dim/go off and my headlights dim. I was just wondering if the two things could be related?

Sorry for such a long post! I'm grateful for all help or advice anyone can give!

I also had diagnostics run on the car so I have a print out of the fault codes if they would be of any use!

Thanks,

Alison

Hi,

Can you please post the error codes from the report?

thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello and welcome Alison :).

That would be good if you scan them and post them up :thumbsup

See HERE on how to post up pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there,

thanks for replying so quickly! I don't have a scanner at home and I'm afraid I have no idea about diagnostics so I'll give you the error details and if thats not the right thing my brother can email me it later and I'll post that up instead.

ABS -> 24052/32 24090/160 24055/160
ZKE -> 66/3 32/2

These errors were also present but were cleared:

SRS -> 80/160
IKE -> 215/129 244/136 140/132 245/136

I hope I'm not talking total rubbish there, thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brother has a diagnostics tool and he did the scan, the only info I have on the scanner is the version number v.1.3.6, sorry I don't know an awful lot about diagnostics so I just leave it up to him!

·
Registered
11 Posts
That sounds like a BMW scanner interface used mostly with PA-Soft or possible Carsoft diagnostic software. Ronnie will be along shortly to decipher those codes :thumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ronnie!

The car cut out across a junction this morning and couldnt get it started again for 10 mins so all help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The codes you have don't match up to the proper BMW ones, can you get them scanned again and post the numbers up, preferably with a BMW specific scanner :thumbsup

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok Bids, if your have the same problem as Alsison (ref the cutting out and battery light coming on ) then its your Crank Sensor, i had the exact same problem but luckly my good friend has a auto diagnostics garage and is a very very good mechanic, changing parts because they may be at fault could suit the dealer but not the customer, also just reading codes is only half the solution you also then need to interpret them, this is where the labour charges come in when someone who knows what they are doing takes time out to try and solve the problem. Just do not start changing all manner of parts because a mate says it could be this, i am pretty sure it's your crank sensor as i understand it is a common fault on our cars, but just get it to a decent indy garage with BMW software diagnostics machines and let them see, but i would be surprised if it were not the crank sensor, a genuine BMW part is about £90 for the part but it can take a bit of time to get to it, oh i would also change the oil separator whilst down there, your are in the area anyway and it also can go wrong. Good luck pal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks for that ..ive bought crankshaft sensor..my mate gonna replace it thanks..otherwise ill dump the bloody car lol..as 2nd bmw ive had now and let me down again

·
Registered
89 Posts
Alison,

Have you changed your battery? E46 Compacts are pretty much a massive headache especially Pre 2004 N42 versions.. Sell up and buy 325ti sport 2004 - 2005 if you want another compact, It will hold it's value better and and have a non valvetronic engine.. That is where the majority of problems are caused with the 4iL engine compacts (valvetronic).. or spend bucket loads of dosh.

Hope this helps

eK

·
Registered
517 Posts
Crankshaft and camshaft sensors most likely.

You can check the oil separator just by letting the car idle and then undoing the oil filler cap. If it stalls the oil separator needs replacing

I've also heard that a faulty voltage regulator can bring all the lights on.

If the car has done approaching 100K it will need all the above plus timing chain and tensioner, and vacuum pump pretty soon!

Like the previous poster said the N42 around 100K will cost you a lot of money, you'd be better off with a 320i or 325i with the M54 engine which is far more reliable.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i know this might sound daft but check wiring from battery to engine sound like a loose connection to me mate as the lights that are coming on are the ones that light up when you turn ignition on cheers dave

·
Registered
183 Posts
Excellent news, i had mine done and as said all is well now. I know there appears to be a downer on the E46 316TI ..... But i really like mine, and it runs really well, i don't know if its anything to do with the fact its a one owner car from new, has FSH, and has only done 51,000 miles (touch wood !!!).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts